Our Children, Our Future.

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
Jess_xo
Private E-1

Our Children, Our Future.

Postby Jess_xo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Hello everyone, This isn't exactly poetry and more written along the lines of a spoken word, so get your passionate reading voices going in your head. I realise this isn't poetry but didn't know where else to post them. Feedback either constructive or positive would be greatly greatly appreciated! Would love to get others ideas around this one and the one being posted after titled "What are we 'teaching'?. Thanks!!!!

Our Children = Our Future

Have you ever had to join in sport that you really don’t enjoy? Has someone ever told you a long story about someone you don't even know and haven't met? Hate maths and your teacher has sat everyone down and handed out papers on a mathematical theory that you just don't get? Can you honestly tell me that you can remember what happened and what was said in each of those situations and can apply them to your life right now? As adults we choose to involve ourselves in things we have an interest for, so how can we expect children to do differently, how?
In our early childhood sector why do we have assessments that are viewed as being a tool to determine the readiness of a child to attend school?
For anyone that has had more than one child I can almost guarantee that each of your children did not begin to crawl, walk or talk at exactly the same age. Each child is an individual at their own stage. I believe they have that right. They have the right to not be judged by their academic ability, but treasured for their strengths and personality. If you were to wake up tomorrow unable to talk would you like everyone to make your personal decisions for you without consulting you and just assume you didn't have the mentality? Decision making isn't always easy and is sometimes long but as a parent you know your child best right? Wrong.
I don't think there is one of us who hasn't picked up a baby from behind without first asking if they wanted to be picked up, wiped a child’s nose or face without asking or have kept trying to get a child to have one more mouthful of food and finish what is on their plate when they are spitting it out or turning away. If the roles were reversed, how would you feel? It is black and white, not grey. A child from an extremely young age without verbal communication has the capability to decide exactly what they want. So why do we decide what they need to know before they start school, during school and after school. It is society who is making the rule.
If your young son came home from school and wanted to start ballet because he has a growing interest and passion in the dance, would let him? Or would you sweep it in under the rug in the hope that it goes away because the majority of society says it isn't okay. We are placing societies views on our future, our children are an asset so why are we telling them to be themselves but restricting them to tick all the boxes from the textbooks on the shelves. We want our children to have the strength to stand up for what they believe in, but are we showing it?
At four years of age before they even start school they are being assessed on their ability to comprehend literacy and numeracy and write their name, are we the fool? How can a child be filled with the strength to stand up for what they believe and be an individual when they are constantly being compared to other children and being 'wrong' or have 'not yet achieved' because they don't meet the requirement, well, it is time for that way to meet retirement. Each and every one of our children should be filled with confidence, self-esteem, passion, patience and curiosity to further their own learning through their interests and determination when facing confrontation in any situation where they can then have the motivation to stand up strong for what they believe and have the affirmation that there are people who will always support their belief.
So is an assessment before school the way to give our children the confidence to stand up for what they believe in? Is it even going to matter once they are at school and begin? Well the jury is still out on that case, but I know what I believe and that is our children, our treasures, our future should be given the skills to further their knowledge and have the opportunity to learn in a natural way through their interests at their own pace, without feeling out of place or as though they are a disgrace because, learning is not a race.
At the end of the day, a child who had determination and a passion, who can stand up against others for something they believe in is going to be of greater value to provide change to our country than a child who can write their name at four years old and learns everything from a textbook but doesn't have the capability to think outside of the box, because I sure hope that’s heading out of fashion. Providing a child with these life skills and opportunity to expand on them and through something that is of value to them is the way and our children are the ones who will bring change at the end of the day.

Return to Poetic Asides