[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
On Adopting Strays : Poetic Asides • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

On Adopting Strays

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
merianne
Private E-2

On Adopting Strays

Postby merianne » Fri May 07, 2010 12:53 pm

merianne
Private E-2

On Adopting Strays

Postby merianne » Fri May 07, 2010 12:53 pm

I meant poetry books, of course.

Whenever I see a thrift shop or used book store, I try to buy as many of them as I can, usually costing only a few dollars in all. Classics as well. Look especially for anthologies, and try ones you've never heard of.

I started to do this a few years ago out of fiscal neccessity, but now it's a cool hobby. I wanted to make sure my kids had access to a well rounded bookshelf, (And I get to save a tree.)

Another fun thing is that people usually write notes and highlight them, so you get someone elses opinion, and a little piece of history. (I've also found very old school papers, post cards, pictures, and love letters tucked in them.)

The only thing you have to watch out for is that you should probably open up paperbacks to check the bindings. Many a time I got them home, opened one, and they split in two because the glue was so brittle. They probably hadn't been opened in twenty years. Or more. Happy hunting!!

Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: On Adopting Strays

Postby Lilly Starshine » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:02 pm

I used to to do the same thing with paper back novels. It was usually yard sales and thrift stores. I would ignore the old clothes and odd gadgets and broken toys and go strait for the old books. Sometimes it would be trashy romances for a dime a piece, or horror's for the same price, and sometimes it would be a box of ten or twenty books for a couple of dollars. I was about sixteen or seventeen and I would hole up in my room for hours, just looking at the covers and reading the backs of my new found treasures. I also found the occasional odd book of poetry in the mix. My mother didn't understand stand the attraction to these old thrown away books. To me each book that caught my interest seemed like buried treasure that had to be dug up and read through.

syedshah20
Private E-1

Re: On Adopting Strays

Postby syedshah20 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:23 am

I had a poem published recently and was curious what some of you real poets think of it. All comments are welcome good or bad. Click on the latest issue, then click on Featured Story, then Dark Poetry. My poem is Perilous Cycle Unending.
Whether you want to pass exam exams or looking for certification, our can provide guaranteed success in real exam of ccna training are also having

Return to Poetic Asides