[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
2012 November PAD Chapbook Challenge: Day 8 : Poetic Asides • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

2012 November PAD Chapbook Challenge: Day 8

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
Robert Lee Brewer
Private E-2

2012 November PAD Chapbook Challenge: Day 8

Postby Robert Lee Brewer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Here's the thread for Day 8 of the November PAD Chapbook Challenge. Let the poems follow!

Best,

Robert

Linda Neas
Private E-1

Re: 2012 November PAD Chapbook Challenge: Day 8

Postby Linda Neas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:01 am

Emily Dickinson asked, "I'm Nobody. Who are you?" I answer...

Nobody

Who am I? I am the unseen --
I am the woman who cleans your house
I am the man who cuts vegetables for your favorite meal
I am the child too afraid to speak
I am the old man picking through your trash
to garner your waste - subsidy for life
I am the old woman jostled by the crowd
with feet too feeble to resist

Who am I? I am the unseen ---

Benjamin Thomas
Private E-1

Postby Benjamin Thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:22 am

Hi Linda great write!

vivinfrance
Private E-1

Postby vivinfrance » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:44 am

A Clarean Sonnet to a dead Poet, written with tongue very much in cheek

Dear John Clare, a nineteeth Century Poet,
whatever made you think you could improve
on sonnets byPetrarch or Will Shakespeare?
Punctuation, essential if we want
to understand each nuance of a poem,
is sadly lacking in so much of yours -
a bad example set to ee cummings.
Seven rhyming couplets unadorned don’t make
a perfect sonnet, so I hesitate
to imitate your own peculiar style

And then there is the tale of your conceit,
in thinking that you were a late repeat
of Byron, Shakespeare, others of that ilk:
you lack their inbuilt beauty and their lilt.

MeenaRose
Private E-1

Postby MeenaRose » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:57 am

JanetRuth
Private E-1

Postby JanetRuth » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:07 am

Where are the songs of spring, ay, where are they? J.Keats in Ode to Autumn

Where are the songs of Spring; aye, where are they?
The notes that tune the dawn with jubilee
As shrouds of frigid respite melt away
And hope, a shrine renewed startles the lea
While we of dreams and duty part our lips
To drink the sun-warm nectar from a glass
Spilling its passion where the tree-limb drips
Its apple-blossom fervor to the grass
But now its naked arm is cold and stark
As day is swallowed early by the dark

Where are the songs of spring; aye where are they?
Muffled it seems by autumn’s drifting dirge
Or buried where the silent willows sway
As winter fills the air with silver splurge
The maestro of spring’s triumphant choir
Is resting now, a bittersweet repose
As we who seek the broken woodland spire
To warm our frozen fingertips and toes
Where choristers arrayed in virgin-white
Stand petrified against the onyx night

Where are the songs of spring; aye, where are they?
Where is that honey-trickle from a spoon
Where sunshine pools on moments now dull gray;
Sweet, golden luster on the afternoon?
Where are the songs of spring; the waking bloom?
The melody of bird and buxom breeze
To fill the earth, a gaunt and ghostly tomb
Of quiet homage to its memories
Ah yes, we know they wait, a calliope
Of splendor sealed as yet on heaven’s slope

JanetRuth
Private E-1

Postby JanetRuth » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:09 am

andreabadgley
Private E-1

Postby andreabadgley » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:19 am

Wake, butterfly -
it's late, we've miles
to go together.

- Basho

I am with you,
Basho, awakening
to life.
Last edited by andreabadgley on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mapoet
Private E-1

Postby mapoet » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 am

Still Sweatin’

“the music they say is dead was so alive, it sweated.-Mbembe Milton Smith

The music still sweats
in a familiar place
a room known as blue
in the mecca of
18th and Vine
in a building that