[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Poetic Inquiry : Poetic Asides • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Poetic Inquiry

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
AJX
Private E-1

Re: Poetic Inquiry

Postby AJX » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:12 am

I wrote more on the subject here: http://www.amosdyer.com/blog.html

_Kirk_
Private E-1

Postby _Kirk_ » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Old thread, I know, but I have just recently picked up a book called 'The Art and Craft of Poetry' which I am finding useful. It's somewhat equal parts essays, textbook style instruction, mini-anthology and exercise book all rolled into one. The author is Michael J. Bugeja. It was published in the mid-1990s, so some of the references are dated, and it doesn't contain any 21st century poems or poets, obviously. Still, I'm finding it enjoyable and helpful. The first chapter exercise is particularly enlightening and informative on your own writing.

AJX
Private E-1

Postby AJX » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:34 am

I thought Bugeja'a book "The Art and Craft of Poetry" was a great read. I think he balanced the technical aspects of poetry with the intent and purpose of what distinguishes good and great poetry very well. His was one of the first books I read which sparked the question and the subject of this dialogue. I have since read several other books about the craft, met with published poets, spoken with a couple local poet laureates, and joined a writer's group specifically for poetry. While I have not yet found a single answer to the question, I have learned that books written by former poet laureates tend to be more helpful in learning and understanding the craft as opposed to those written by well-known and published poets. Both kinds of books are helpful and good reads, but for those of us just beginning I found the former to be more encouraging and had a better way of presenting the concepts. Thank you for your input on the subject.

G.E.Plum
Private E-1

Postby G.E.Plum » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:08 pm

AJX
Private E-1

Postby AJX » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Absolutely - If you want to write poetry, read poetry. To be more specific, if you want to write love poetry, then read love poetry. This advice applies to all genres of poetry and fiction. And yes, there are dozens of similarities like these between writing fiction and poetry. Being good at one makes you better at the other.

Previous

Return to Poetic Asides