Which do you prefer...

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
yogachic
Private First Class

Re: Which do you prefer...

Postby yogachic » Thu May 15, 2008 10:40 am

Ahh..that should say...deep, MEANINGFUL poems, not meaning poems. Sorry.

seingraham
Private First Class

Postby seingraham » Thu May 15, 2008 10:43 am

Good question - glad you asked it...I would have said the prompts were the most useful first and foremost because they made me get back to writing poetry (even if I didn't complete all the prompts until two weeks late!).
However, one of the big bonuses for me, was sorting through some old poems as well and discovering stuff from over the years that I would not have known I'd written if I hadn't signed and dated them, some of it was that good, some that bad. It became apparent that I write my best poetry when I am despairing or furious, so love poems and lines of hope are especially challenging. At least, after the pad, I welcome the challenge.

I don't really care if I ever write another sestina, but at least I now know I can do one if my life should ever depend on it (and that would be an odd hostage-taking situation, yes?).On the other hand, I've finally started to learn about and appreciate the many forms of haiku, so will be trying more of those.

I don't think I've extended my thanks to Robert lately and I've been meaning to, so many, many thanks - as we say in these parts (and I have no real idea why, but I like the way it rolls off the tongue) -"You are a gentleman and a scholar and a judge of fine whiskey," and obviously, a gifted poet yourself. Thanks again Robert.

Sharon Ingraham

"Much unhappiness has come into the world because of things left unsaid."
Dostoesvsky

narniaprincess
Private E-1

Postby narniaprincess » Thu May 22, 2008 7:53 pm

I mull over every poem I write. I let it boil and bubble in the back of my mind until it is ready. Sometimes I check it often, other times I might ignore it for days. If a prompt nudges something inside me (as several of the ones Robert gave did) then I'll go for it. Or if I've accepted a challenge, I'll make myself write (but in those cases, I don't usually like or keep the result). There are times when I simply try new forms. There are topics that work best as poems and if they arrive with that criteria, I'll honor that. I've learned to write on demand, even poetry, and I've surprised myself with the results-so I don't rule any method out :)

China-Matt
Private First Class

Postby China-Matt » Wed May 28, 2008 2:28 am

I prefer the poems I write that get published.

PaigeVonLiber
Lieutenant

RE: Which do you prefer...

Postby PaigeVonLiber » Wed May 28, 2008 10:47 am

The funny thing, Matt, is that was not one of the choices I gave, but now that you so bravely brought it up...
that would be what I prefer as well as all the other poets here I'm sure.

;)

Welcome to the forum glad you found your way

Be safe

Previous

Return to Poetic Asides