Which do you prefer...

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
PaigeVonLiber
Lieutenant

Which do you prefer...

Postby PaigeVonLiber » Mon May 05, 2008 11:13 am

PaigeVonLiber
Lieutenant

Which do you prefer...

Postby PaigeVonLiber » Mon May 05, 2008 11:13 am

the poems you write as a challenge from a prompt?

the poems you write from the heart at the spur of the moment?

the ones you mull over for a while before writing them down?

And the all telling Question Why??????

Iain
Private E-2

Re: Which do you prefer...

Postby Iain » Mon May 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Interesting question Paige. I hadn't written for so long before PAD that I'm tempted to say from a prompt. It is fun & its new to me, never done that before but really enjoy it now. However during PAD I also composed spontaneously after my original posting for the day which produced work I liked, so, hmmmmm... Don't know! I think as long as it flows straight to the page I'm usually pretty happy. I don't like to stop & start & am not usually pleased with the results when I do. Sometimes mull over an idea when I literally can't write it down at the time but the same applies. When I come to write it it has to be as a single action. Probably why I didn't really get on with the sestina, cos I had to keep stopping to check the order.

Rox
Private E-1

Postby Rox » Mon May 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Great question, Paige.

For me, it's not usually a preference... I usually write poetry the way most people journal; that is, I write it as it spills onto the page, and leave it without revision. (I'm sure most of you can tell!) I have a small group of writers and close friends I share with, and at the point of review and/or revision, I like the ones that evoke the closest response to what I was originally trying to get onto the page. Unfortunately, that doesn't always make for good, structured poetry, either!

What about you?

Lorraine Hart
Private E-1

Postby Lorraine Hart » Mon May 05, 2008 3:29 pm

This was the first time I'd tried writing poetry to prompts...I have to stay within so many structures and often write to order with songs for other folks, so the poetry was my place to happily finger-paint. My dad used to write the old very standard da DA da DA da DA da DA...da DA da DA da DA type of poetry...and that used to drive me mad. However...in me venerable old age I can even find joy within that simple and sweet hop-skip. A lot of times, a favourite will be what is the most 'visual'...and I love economy of words...space defining the form, so to speak...like the chap who wrote that quickie about exercise and sex being the two things you shouldn't do in front of mirrors...well...I fell on the floor with that one! Poems work more with understanding than knowledge...and as Gurdjieff said, "Only understanding can lead to being...whereas knowledge is but a passing presence within it."

Love the Shakespeare quote Rox.

http://lorrainehart.blogspot.com/
www.jazzmusette.com

pwilliamswriter
Private E-1

Postby pwilliamswriter » Mon May 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Paige - The prompts were truly a challenge - anyone, on any one day, can write words, and call it poetry. But to follow direction, follow the assignment was such a help. The creative side of my brain ran with it while the very responsible side said we have to follow the rules and get this done on time.
I've never been happier writing.

Patti

Skoder
Private E-1

RE: Which do you prefer...

Postby Skoder » Mon May 05, 2008 7:13 pm

This month was a good challenge, and I liked some of my poems better than others. However, I am generally happier with the poems I write from my own inspiration. The funny ones are my favorite, and those I can mull over better. Otherwise I write them down and let them sit for a while. One of my poems had several "lives," so to speak. Only a few of the original words were in the final poem. Another think I like to do is to go somewhere and write descriptive lines to use later. One local place, Austin Gardens yielded one whole poem and a line used later in another poem.

That said, I am looking forward to one prompt a week, hoping our poem will no longer be expected that very day.

Sheryl

tonyar
Private E-1

Postby tonyar » Mon May 05, 2008 7:22 pm

I have to say I'm a fence-sitter on this one as well. The PAD challenge was good for me, because it forced me to write SOMETHING every day, but I also like to just sit down with a cup of coffee and my favorite writing journal and have at it, letting inspiration lead. What I need, now that the challenge is over, is someone to force me to go back and revise. I hate revision and some of my poems desperately need it! :-)

yogachic
Private First Class

Postby yogachic » Mon May 05, 2008 11:55 pm

The challenge gave prompts that had me writing about things I would never have thought of on my own, so I like a prompt as a start. But I am never really happy with my work until I rethink and rewrite, eventually putting more heart or humor in it. That goes for any piece of work, but especially poems. To say a lot with few words takes time for me. It was really hard to post my poems each day because they were just in the beginning stages. The perfect way for me would be: read a prompt, think about it for 2 days, write it, let it sit, then rewrite and revise. Let it sit again. Rewrite. Do you think this is because I am a beginner or do others feel this way as well?

Linda H.

Iain
Private E-2

Postby Iain » Tue May 06, 2008 12:05 am

Hi Linda,

I think its horses for courses. I don't revise for months even if I don´t much like what I've written at first. The ones I'm most pleased with when written spill straight out and very often don't get changed at all. One thing though... I never throw anything away. Even if I write 2 stanzas and then put a line through them, I hang on to it cos whos knows, 6 months later I might be able to salvage the original idea & re-write it.
The only time I ever really mulled over something (for 3 months) when I sat down to write it it became a short story but even then I wrote it in one go.

Next

Return to Poetic Asides