What's your writing routine?

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
Peridot Texan
Private First Class

RE: What's your writing routine?

Postby Peridot Texan » Mon May 19, 2008 8:32 pm

I do not think I have ever had a "routine". As previously mentioned in another thread, I have been writing poetry off and on since 1972. Shamefully... (with all that wasted time) it has only been within the last 10 years that I have really taken it seriously in trying to get published (which finally occured in 2003 after tons of rejections). I constantly have thoughts and ideas working in my mind; note pads and notebooks laying around with lots of poems started but not finished. From time to time, something will "hit me", and as I begin to work on it, everything just seems to click and I can finish one within hours, ...sometimes days. My work environment during the day keeps my mind busy, which makes it tough to come up with ideas. When I do have one, it's jotted down in a pocket pad notebook, to be worked on later. After completing a poem, I will use Writers Digest Book Club's Poet's Market to find a place to submit it to. 

olivia09
Private E-1

Re: What's your writing routine?

Postby olivia09 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:36 pm

Before I write, I usually drink first my coffee to stimulate my sleeping mind. :)

Diane-7
Private E-1

RE: What's your writing routine?

Postby Diane-7 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:35 am

I try to get some writing done each morning before my three year old wakes up. I'm a night person, but it's hard to get any solitude at night. If I stay up, others in the family will tend to stay up too. So I get up early, make a cup of tea, read for 30 min and take notes; then I write for at least one hour, two hours on a good day.

I keep a file box of pending projects next to my favorite chair and type first drafts on a NEO so that the computer won't distract me. I keep notes for ideas throughout the rest of the day, and occasionally try to hide somewhere to write more. There are one to three pens in my pockets at all times. I carry around a small spiral notebook, and take a tote bag with work in it everywhere I go. (I've got it bad!) My best journaling times are when riding in the car. I gladly let someone else drive and catch up on recording current events.

BettRubble
Private E-1

Postby BettRubble » Tue May 20, 2008 10:32 am

The closest I come to a routine is to try to write something every day. Sometimes morning works best, sometimes evening, or on a good day, both.

Found a model for a two-week writing challenge on a Christian author's website (marianmerritt.com -- I think that's how you spell it) called Just Write It! Some of my friends from our local guild and I have done this twice so far and loved it for the encouragement and accountability. It helped me through the PAD Challenge and is keeping me (most days) to the word count goal I set at the beginning of each two-week session. I agree with the parameters Merritt set of having 4-6 people each time, because you bond better and don't have tons of emails flood your inbox. We begin each day with an email prayer (take turns, whoever moderates sends out a schedule), which often becomes the day's main source of inspiration and a topic for discussion. We've finally learned to at least save these prayers and the encouraging words and quotes we send one another, because they're too precious to lose.

Aren't you proud of me? I upped my word count goal of a measly 100 words from the first challenge to a goal of 150 per day for the second challenge session. I know, big whoop, but for me it's so much fun to say I surpassed my goal (or at least reached it).

BettRubble
Private E-1

Postby BettRubble » Tue May 20, 2008 10:32 am

Oh, sorry, I haven't done a sig line yet. This is Karen from Georgia.

birdee
Private E-1

Postby birdee » Tue May 20, 2008 11:18 am

I usually free write at least 2 pages in the a.m. when i first get up. It's nonsensical usually, but it gets my mind going. My day job involves a computer at my disposal, and I like writing to prompts on your website and others. I do this of course when the boss isn't looking. Thank goodness for 'Alt Tab'. I especially feel creative when I am angry or something strikes me funny. It's hard for me to write to music. I work best with a computer, cuz I write, rewrite, put it away, come back later and usually i'm more creative after all of that. The putting it away and rewriting thing really works for me. - Carol, Amherst

ihatepeas
Private E-1

Postby ihatepeas » Wed May 21, 2008 8:57 am

I don't really have a routine right now. In November, when I do NaNoWriMo, I desperately need structure, so I set a schedule (usually 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.)at the beginning of the month and stick to it as best as I can. At the moment, though, I am horribly disorganized.

narniaprincess
Private E-1

Postby narniaprincess » Thu May 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Due to the chaos that is my life, I don't have a regular writing time. But I do have a routine that works pretty well when I do find myself with time to write (or when I make time, which is more often the case). For fiction, I get all set up and then open Spider solitaire. I play until I win a game and then turn to my story at hand. I have found that there is something about the logic in the card game that triggers my writing and helps me get the flow going. Over the years, I've developed several such triggers--drinking tea, burning a candle, etc. I'm a big fan of learning to write on demand. I do believe and trust in inspiration, but I know that if left to that alone, I'd never get most things written!

Previous

Return to Poetic Asides