[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Who Else Misses Robert's PAD Highlights? : Poetic Asides • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Who Else Misses Robert's PAD Highlights?

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
yogachic
Private First Class

Re: revision dilemma

Postby yogachic » Wed May 07, 2008 12:03 pm

Robert,

i think the idea of highlighting a poem for revision would be okay but only if the writer agrees to it. There are some poems of mine that would be last on my list for revision and others that I think have possibilities or that are very important to me. The problem is: the poems that I feel strongly about are difficult to revise because they are too close to home. I wonder if I can be objective in revision. In that sense, I wouldn't mind having one of those critiqued because it would be beneficial. But to critique a lousy poem (for which I wrote more than my share in April).....just torture!!!

Linda H.

yogachic
Private First Class

Re: response to Susanbellnc

Postby yogachic » Wed May 07, 2008 12:09 pm

Susan,

I agree. Having Robert highlight a poem was a highlight. I don't show my poetry to my husband because though he is super smart he just doesn't get it (whether I wrote it or a famous poet). But when I showed him a draft of a story he said it was good, send it out. I was, like, HELLO, it is a first draft! I can't trust that friends or family will be brave enough to tell the truth. That is why a compliment from ANYONE in the group is a huge compliment. To know that someone actually gets your point is uplifting.

Linda H.

yogachic
Private First Class

Re:

Postby yogachic » Wed May 07, 2008 12:18 pm

Iain,

Your response to my message came in as I was revising mine.

I thought you'd been to Philadelphia because most people don't call it Phillie, except we Pennsylvanians.

I visited Scotland a few time when I was in University. The winter weather isn't the best but the towns are nice. Of course, we did the touristy Edinboro ghost tour at night.

BOO!

(Sorry, had to do that. Back then they'd burn a witch like me :-)

Linda H.

tonyar
Private E-1

Re: Who Else Misses Robert's PAD Highlights?

Postby tonyar » Wed May 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Hey Linda and Susan - isn't that the truth? I've been a closet poetry writer for years, so having Robert actually highlight my work was so fantastic! I have actually been encouraged that I - yes, even I - could one day have a published poem!

AC Leming
Private E-1

Postby AC Leming » Thu May 08, 2008 5:53 am

Iain, I went to massage school in Asheville, NC with a transplant from Aberdeen. What a small world! And I loved your poems.

I have to admit the month of April was hectic for me and I, too, got behind on more than one occasion. But, I posted what I could, when I could and now feel like I have been slacking in not writing a poem a day since 30 April. SIGH.

And, I admit, I was disconcerted and thrilled both to have some of mine highlighted throughout the month. My husband reads about 3-5 books a YEAR! and doens't "do" poetry, so I get some feedback from him, usually after he's had several beers and I can force him to sit and read one....which, well, doesn't always end up with bruised feelings. :P

Glad to have this forum! Thanks for all your hard work, Robert!

halfmoon_mollie
Private E-1

Postby halfmoon_mollie » Thu May 08, 2008 9:09 am

I belonged to a Writer's Group but left because more times than not people said "I don't understand pomes." (in my mind, I heard them say that word, spelled exactly that way.) Being a poet can be very discouraging. Many people think 'pomes' have to rhyme.

I was disappointed that even though I wrote every single day, I only had one piece even slightly noted. But that's the chance you take when you put your work out in public, I guess.

pwilliamswriter
Private E-1

Postby pwilliamswriter » Thu May 08, 2008 5:31 pm

Robert - as I have said a few times on these threads - you highlighting my poetry shed more light in my world than you will ever know - it was the shot in the arm I needed as an unpublished writer - and I encourage you to do more of it for me when you select days 18 - 30.

(You got it folks, I am not above begging ... nope, not at all.)

Patti

drwasy
Captain

Postby drwasy » Sun May 11, 2008 8:38 am

yogachic
Private First Class

Re: the name Linda

Postby yogachic » Mon May 12, 2008 10:50 am

Hi; Linda! Yeah, we are about the same age. I just turned 40 in February. But when I was in school I was the only Linda in the entire school (a good 500 people or more). During my senior year a freshmen Linda moved in and I pass the torch on to her. In some ways it was cool being the only one but the only other Lindas I knew were very old and some times I had the feeling it was an old lady name. But, really, there could be worse names, eh? I sort of grew into it.

In Germany right now I have had a few Lindas in the grade school classes so I guess it is slowly coming back around again...at least in this neck of the woods.

Did you grow up in Maryland? I'm a Pennsylvania girl myself.

Linda H.

drwasy
Captain

Re: the name Linda

Postby drwasy » Wed May 14, 2008 8:26 am

Hi LindaH-

You're still a 'baby' compared to me! I just turned 46, which just seems sooooo much closer to 50.

Yes, like you, I was the only Linda during my early years, then ran into other Lindas as I aged. Our name must've been a secret when we were younger, but now we've come out of the closet!

I actually was born in Massachusetts, lived the next 7 years in Vermont, New York, Georgia, California, then settled in North Carolina. I've been in Maryland for only 7 years, but love it. And love Pennsylvania, especially Philly and the Longwood Gardens area.

off to work on today's prompt! Peace namesake! Linda

PreviousNext

Return to Poetic Asides