Who Else Misses Robert's PAD Highlights?

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
Iain
Private E-2

Re: Who Else Misses Robert's PAD Highlights?

Postby Iain » Tue May 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Linda, I like that we're in the same time zone... Where in Deutschland?

yogachic
Private First Class

Postby yogachic » Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 am

Iain,

I am stuck in a little cow-town about an hour from Stuttgart. Closest town you mind find on the map would be Schorndorf or Rudersberg. Got one stop light, one restaurant, a baker, houses, and nature. Not the culture capital of Germany but also not the worst place. Sort of an old-fashioned community feel, like when I was growing up.

You mentioned Phillie in one of your poems. Did you mean Philadelphia?

How'd you end up in Spain? (Not a bad area you are in! )

Linda H.

Iain
Private E-2

Postby Iain » Wed May 07, 2008 5:19 am

Yes that was a reference to Philadelphia. I came out here 10 years ago when I was in need of a change. My folks have been here 20 yrs. I have also lived in Berlin & Rudesheim am Rhein, but a long a time ago...

yogachic
Private First Class

Re: reply for Iain

Postby yogachic » Wed May 07, 2008 5:30 am

But you didn't live in Phillie. You come from Ireland, right? Or has my mind gone flakey again?

Wait a minute....the haze is lifting...or was it Scotland?

I grew up in a small suburb an hour north of Philadelpia. That's why I ask. I went to University in Ambleside, Cumbria, in the Lake District (Charlotte Mason Teacher's College) for a while and loved it. Still have friends there and visited last year.

Linda H.

LindaTK
Private E-1

Postby LindaTK » Wed May 07, 2008 5:35 am

I have a coupla questions, here...seems to be my mantra. I got all but one of my poems in late...some really late! I pasted them in a spot reserved for me after accessing the day's prompt from the calendar. Question numero uno...if I put them there, did they make it to Robert's and everyone elses eyes? I learned later that I could have simply gone into the prompts, found the one that I was posting to and post. Of course, I did it the more difficult way. Now, I am worried that they may not have gone from point a to point b. Some of them belong at point z but that is another story. Second question...are we on our own in terms of polishing them up or is there a game-plan, Robert? I know I said, "coupla," but I have to toss out one more...there are at least three Linda's on here. When I read down through the messages, and see one for "Linda," I get all happy thinking that someone actually wrote to me (unfamous, or is it infamous poet/writer that I am). I am also worried that if Robert refers to a poem by Linda that he especially likes (liked), I will get all happy again and it will more than likely be one of the other Linda's. Can we somehow fix this or am I feeding off my ego, which is a terrible thing to do? That's all for now... LINDA (argh)

yogachic
Private First Class

Re: response to Linda

Postby yogachic » Wed May 07, 2008 5:42 am

Hello, Linda .

Yes, I think there are at least 3 of us. I always signed my poems as Linda Hofke because of this and I think you're always said LindaLK, right. Anyway, the poems of mine which Robert listed as highlights always had Linda Hofke and I think he realized how many of us there were and would have listed my full name if referring to me. Plus, if he liked the poem, I doubt it was me. Like I said on the other thread, I have been writing only since February so I am not the most skilled here!! My posts in the forum come up as yogachic because I signed up for the forum before the PAD challenge, so I always sign my full name or Linda H. If we all use our last initials, it should work out okay. I hope.

Linda H.

Iain
Private E-2

Postby Iain » Wed May 07, 2008 5:49 am

Linda H - Never even beento Phillie, that was just a poem! The one about my life in Berlin was true though. Actually Scots, from Aberdeen.

Robert Lee Brewer
Private E-2

Postby Robert Lee Brewer » Wed May 07, 2008 6:06 am

Hmm... I don't have any specific plans on how to accomplish the revision process. However, I've been thinking I may do some critiques with suggestions for improvements to poems on the blog. Still twirling that around in my head, though, because I'll probably have to randomly pick a poem each week. If I end up going that route, I'm hoping the critiques will help give ideas on strategies to try in your own poems. Ultimately, revision is such a lonely process. Kind of like long distance running.

As far as the Linda epidemic--yes, there are a bunch of you Lindas roaming around writing poetry. But then, there are also multiple Carols, Saras, and others. In fact, there are just so many poets--where do you all come from? :)

I think I've seen a lot of LindaTK poems throughout the month--so I think you're fine. But you can always double-check by reading through all the poems every day, which is probably equal to reading all the poetry books in a decent-sized local library.

Hope everyone writes a poem for today's prompt on the blog.

susanbellnc
Private E-1

Postby susanbellnc » Wed May 07, 2008 6:30 am

Robert, I have to say your highlighted poems have proven to me that my harshest critic is...well, ME. Poems that I almost hated have been highlighted, which has kind of thrilled me to no end. I have friends who tell me my poems are good, but I always feel a bit like they feel they have to say that since they are friends. When it's someone who doesn't even know you, it means more. (Sad, isn't it?!) So, thanks for the boost, Robert. I am now ready to revise and start submitting. I also now have enough poems gathered together to enter a poetry chapbook contest I've been looking at for some time.

Now, it's off to check out today's prompt. I've been going through withdrawal....

LindaTK
Private E-1

Postby LindaTK » Wed May 07, 2008 8:24 am

Linda H and Robert, thank you for the replies. I guess the Linda epidemic wasn't that at all. If we are including last initials or whatevers, then I should be ok with the identity crisis. Robert, when I first read your suggestion about "reading all the books in the library," I thought you might be putting me in my place, as it were, because who am I to question the direction that things are going in...(ego again..but instead of inflated, I tend to be overly sensitive...wah, wah, I know) and then it hit me...OMG, there really aren't very many poetry books in the library...at least the one in my town. So, I'll go with that interpretation of your suggestion. ;-) I have read all of the posts here and get the sense that most poets want to wait to revise...kind of like seeing an old friend after a long time. I agree with that wholeheartedly. I will also wait until you, Robert, give us a heads-up, in terms of what your plans are, once they are cast in concrete...mud...water...not cast at all? I'm good with it! This has been a total blast, and even if my poems only gather virtual dust once blogs become archaic, and are replaced by some other form of tool to use on the Internet, which is more than likely a given, I will have completed a challenge, and for that I feel satisfied. LindaTK :-)

PreviousNext

Return to Poetic Asides