Writing Prompt: Someone Else's Dream

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
tonyar
Private E-1

Re: Writing Prompt: Someone Else's Dream

Postby tonyar » Wed May 07, 2008 7:34 pm

Fantastic Lorraine. Love it, love it, love it!

bluebethley
Private E-1

Postby bluebethley » Thu May 08, 2008 3:00 am

#5 Diagnosis

A round circle
the size of a dime
talks to me,
as if ever I could see
down bloodstreams
into eternity.
And shall I swim then
to heart’s content,
from my deepest dreams
taken, yet to deeper dreams
awaken?

This poem came last night almost in a dream. I'm posting it here because it comes close to fitting the prompt, but I really want to ask advice. I've been thinking lately about whether to stop writing poetry and just focus on writing my novel (I'm currently 50,000 words in) as some writers believe we can do one but not both. But I really enjoyed being part of an online writing community last month through Sunday Scribblings and Poetic Asides. So I'm hesitating. I'd really like your opinion on poetry vs. fiction and whether writers can pursue both. Thank you.

Comments on poems in this thread:

Lorraine: This poem is so evocative. I loved how you worked from a real experience to connect with how we use metaphors for illness. The poem brings so very many points of view together in a very powerful and very emotional way that shows the protectiveness of a mother.

Jolanta: Your dreaming poem hints at that moment of awareness before action.
Iain: Your poem is so sad yet pushes the experience out there for the reader to understand and sympathize.
Drea: Those last lines bring insight and, in a way, the dream brings the insight to the reader and to the narrator.

Thank you all. I really enjoyed reading these this rainy morning.

Lorraine Hart
Private E-1

Postby Lorraine Hart » Thu May 08, 2008 5:46 am

Thank you for your kind words Beth!

As to your question...I'm a believer in writing as many ways as we can...kinda like...when a door closes a window opens...and lets you get to that door from the other side...but that's just me...dancing with 312 personalities!

Live to write...write to live
Lox...Maya Mithraca

Iain
Private E-2

Postby Iain » Thu May 08, 2008 11:32 am

Beth - Thank you. It is sad because its real & its not something ( the poem) I'll share with her just yet. I find that having lived through so many emotional states that now I can write about sadness & pain, even suicide and its all distant and cold so I can invent it if I want. However this one is true & it beaks my heart cos was a time I offered to do something about it and that time passed and now I can do nothing.

Lox_ you is way too cool to be real... I'm up late tonight stay on line if you can preshusssssssssssssssssssss...

Iain
Private E-2

Postby Iain » Thu May 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Sorry wrong thread!

Lorraine Hart
Private E-1

Postby Lorraine Hart » Fri May 09, 2008 6:18 am

Had rehearsal last night...running up to West Seattle for my daughter's doc's appt this afternoon....will be back on tonight...which, I think is your morning. My sister lives just outside Limoge, France and is nine hours ahead of me...so would you be eight? It's hard when some folks are in days and some nights! Lox of Poxly

Previous

Return to Poetic Asides