Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
birdee
Private E-1

Re: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby birdee » Tue May 06, 2008 9:18 am

Hey Robert, I think the poem with a twist was my favorite. Although, the apology was fun too. But that's me. I prefer the fun poems. The sestina was really really hard. But it was a good learning exercise. It made the next few seem easy. Hope this helps. - Carol

Eromezis
Private E-1

Postby Eromezis » Tue May 06, 2008 6:17 pm

I really liked the sestina that I came up with, and actually thought that was probably the best of my April poems (even though I didn't finish it in April, ahem), however, my favorite prompt was probably the daily routine poem. I do that anyway all the time, my poems are kind of like journals of my life.

That apology poem hurt me to write, it actually put me in a bad mood for like three days after I wrote it. Maybe I should have left those memories alone, although, others of a similar nature had cropped up recently so I guess it was meant to happen.

Anyway, really enjoyed all the prompts, and getting to read the work of such talented people.

ihatepeas
Private E-1

RE: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby ihatepeas » Wed May 07, 2008 5:42 am

I think my favorite was the persona prompt. It was definitely my favorite poem. (Mine was NASCAR Trophy.) I love writing from another point of view, especially an inanimate object. You can find sympathy and truth and humor in the oddest places. And writing about myself gets old. ;-)

--Sarah P.

lilyclarissa
Private E-1

Postby lilyclarissa » Mon May 12, 2008 8:32 am

I am having a debate with a friend - is your avatar Walt Whitman or George Bernard Shaw? Or neither? :)

Elizabeth

lilyclarissa
Private E-1

Postby lilyclarissa » Mon May 12, 2008 8:39 am

I liked Day 2 and Day 23 - #2 was to write as if you were someone or something else, and #23 was to write about aging. I found it fun to put myself inside an inanimate object and write from there. And aging is a relevant topic these days in my immediate and extended family. Elizabeth

Renee G
Private E-1

Postby Renee G » Tue May 20, 2008 3:33 pm

Many of the prompts felt good to me but I think I would have to pick the sestina, mostly because I've never done one before and I don't like the way I feel when I am trying to fit my words into a form. I do wish it had been a prompt on Saturday morning rather than during the week, but as it turns out I was able to knock it off pretty quickly, maybe in half an hour or so. I tackled it like solving a problem, putting all the end words in first (does everyone do that?) and then fitting the poem to the words. Amazingly, it actually ended up making sense; this has been verified by my poetry workshop group members, who liked it very much and only made me take out a smattering of extra words.

I will say that my *least* favorite prompt, unlike many others, was the love poem. I really wasn't in the mood for that.

narniaprincess
Private E-1

Postby narniaprincess » Thu May 22, 2008 7:48 am

I was already a fan of the sestina before April, so it was one of my favorites. And I think I might have set a world record by writing my new one in under 30 minutes! I really enjoyed the persona poem (day 2) and the photograph poem. There were many I enjoyed and really liked what people came up with. The ones I had a hard time with were the rambling poem, the one sided conversation and the love poem (mine came out as rather unrequited!). But I really enjoyed the new challenges. I do poetry challenges for a group of teen writers from time to time so it was great to get some new ideas :)

Previous

Return to Poetic Asides