Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
nposey
Private E-1

Re: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby nposey » Sat May 03, 2008 3:48 pm

I don't know that I had a favorite prompt, but I like having a prompt. The third person poem was good for me because I find I write in first perso--and usually the speaker really isn't me. (I think anyone reading my poems would wonder about my relationship, when actuallhy I've been happily married to the same man for 31 years. Sometimes I felt as if I was just getting one done, but some days I was surprised and pleased with what I wrote. I miss having an assignment every day. I work better under pressure. I also found myself reading some of your poems to my colleagues at work.
Nancy

seingraham
Private First Class

Postby seingraham » Sat May 03, 2008 6:54 pm

In some respects I agree with Iain in that I tend to favour poems over prompts but if I had to pick a favourite prompt, I think it would be the one based on a photograph. For one thing, it reminded me to go back to that site (nowilaymedowntosleep.com)and that actually led me to write some other poems, as well as an essay and the beginnings of a short-story. This prompt did not produce my favourite poem of this exercise but it did lead to an embarassment of riches in some ways, albeit haunting riches, I'll grant you. As an aspiring poet, I can't help but think that this is ever a bad thing.

bellestory
Private E-1

RE: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby bellestory » Sun May 04, 2008 6:01 am

I have to say the "song prompt " was a favorite ,but I am a newbie and did not get to do too many of the prompts. If it touches a string in my heart, if it tickles my funny bone, if it brings back a memory that is bitter sweet, then I can write about it. Most of my writing is humor so what I got to participate in was a challenge and a refreshing change. Thanks so much for the opportunity!!!

pwilliamswriter
Private E-1

Postby pwilliamswriter » Sun May 04, 2008 10:14 am

I stand by my original opinion - sestinas make me cry - and not in a creative kind of way. Don't like 'em, never want to write one again. I'm sorry guys ... it's just who I am!

Patti Williams

yogachic
Private First Class

Postby yogachic » Mon May 05, 2008 4:10 am

I agree with you, Patti. Sestinas are not my cup of tea. They take much longer and whatever I write seems forced. Maybe it was just too hard for a beginner like me. What I really want to write is nonfiction for children, a bit of fiction, and the poems are just for myself. I always wanted to write....teachers said I had talent...but I opted for the safe bet and went into teaching. Moved to Germany 7 years ago and my elementary ed cert means diddily-squat here, so I am teaching ESL at night and doing secretarial work in the morning. Afternoons are spent with my daughter (they only have school til 12:30 each day) and then there is the housework. Anway, I turned 40 in February and decided in was going to get my ass in gear and try to revive the old dream. It is hard. I find much of my vocabulary has escaped me since I spend the majority of my time speaking German. So, I've been writing since February 3 and have two rough drafts, 26 poems thanks to PAD Challenge, a few extra pounds...yes, already..., and very dark circles under the eyes!!! Hoping it gets easier as I go along because I am enjoying it....but I can go without the sestinas.

Linda H.

yogachic
Private First Class

Postby yogachic » Mon May 05, 2008 4:24 am

Iain,

Just read your post from May 2. LEt me say,

1. good luck with your series of short stories. Is it far along? I want to write picture poems, magazine articles, perhaps short chapter book for 7-10 year olds (yeah, i know, me and a million others :-)

2. I am also guilty of spelling your name wrong in the PAD CHALLENGE: Sorry bout that. My daughter has the same problem with her name and I considering this I should really have been more careful.

3. You wrote a lot of good poems in the challenge. I could tell that you and many others have been writing for a while. I will try to follow your lead.

4. I think you are completely and utterly nuts....
I like that in a person.

Gotta' run. Till next time.

Iain
Private E-2

Postby Iain » Mon May 05, 2008 5:19 am

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the loveliness, don't worry 'bout the name. Here in Spain they can't even prounounce it! Its Ok when they've only heard it but if they see it wriitten down they get all phonetic on my ass! Usually comes out as E-aeen! The stories are getting there.. I've started the third from its draft which was done ages ago and drafted the 4th. The 10th should be easy (?!) as it will be an epic poem version of the 1st. My best friend lives in S. Africa & is a wonderful artist. She will hopefully illustrate for me once they are done ( or along the way).

I know I've said it before but I was really thrilled that people, esp other writers have liked my poems cos they've never been read by anyone impartial before and your always afraid that friends & relatives are just being polite...

And yes its true! I is mad! Which is good cos once I went insane & thats just mental!

Good luck with your work. Thing that scares me most is I just don't have a clue where to start submitting to... :o

pwilliamswriter
Private E-1

Postby pwilliamswriter » Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 am

Iain - I have been rejected by all of the best publishers and agents! Good luck with the submitting process. At first I would get all worked up about sending my query - now I just send the damn things out there. My skin has grown quite a bit thicker in the process - I even argued with one agent. The PAD was great for me because it wasn't a rejection letter! If someone liked my work they said so and if they didn't, I did not receive a "no thanks, not for us, but best of luck" letter; very nice change. I've written 9 children's books, 2 novels, various short stories, and of course have been writing poems since my miserable childhood - lots of prompts there - but I've never submitted a poem. The PAD was the first time I threw them out there and as I said, loved it. I think I'm going to pursue getting my poetry published. But, enough about me, I emailed an author friend and his advice was this: email query is the way to go, make sure it's short and to the point, and send a few out each day. Just passing the advice on - hopefully it will work for one of us.

Patti

Iain
Private E-2

Postby Iain » Mon May 05, 2008 6:34 am

Thanks Patti. Sounds like good advice! Goodluck to you too!

birdee
Private E-1

Postby birdee » Tue May 06, 2008 9:18 am

Hey Robert, I think the poem with a twist was my favorite. Although, the apology was fun too. But that's me. I prefer the fun poems. The sestina was really really hard. But it was a good learning exercise. It made the next few seem easy. Hope this helps. - Carol

PreviousNext

Return to Poetic Asides