Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
Iain
Private E-2

Re: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby Iain » Fri May 02, 2008 12:20 am

Linda, I'm writing a series of short stories which I think in the end will be more for kids (10-14) than adults all tho so far so child has read any so still not sure. The 10th & lalast of the series is an epic poem version of the first tale.

Inre favourites. I also don't really have a favorite propmt but do have poems that I think came out better & so I lean towards those, I suppose. ... A Word, The Hitchcock Poem, Love poem and the End... for example.

The sestina messed with my head. It has intrigued me to find out about other "Forms" but I'm not a fan. My writing is pretty spontaneous so I find forms a bit too contrived. Someone ( forgive me , I forget who) wrote a Villanelle (?) at the end & that I liked, seemed easier to flow into without having to work it all out in advance.
Eight years ago I was going to give ot all up to write full time but was bullied & cajoled into a new business. Iam trying to take it more seriosly now as I would love to be published. either as poet or author (Both??!!) But its such a maze out there & I really don't know where to start... You hear horror stories... Anyway I think I need some more completed work before I start submitting, esp, on the fiction side...

midwesternskirt
Private E-1

Postby midwesternskirt » Fri May 02, 2008 4:47 am

I am going to have to go along with the majority and say that the sestina was my favorite! It was the one that pulled me out of my comfort zone the most but I was amazed at how the end result seemed to really come together.

I was also a big fan of the song, photo and painting poems as well! Sometimes it is nice to have something staring you right in the face or filling your ears with a bit of inspiration and fire under your bum to write!

- k weber

Marin
Private E-1

Postby Marin » Fri May 02, 2008 5:19 am

I agree with Linda -- the Sestina and the "There is No Connection" prompts were my favorite (even though I came into the game late). Both of them stretched my creativity and forced that creativity to work within a set parameter, which is to me the best way to grow as a writer. And I really enjoyed reading what others came up with. Its fascinating to me to see how different everyone's thought process is from one another when working on the same idea or theme.

Sestinas ROCK! ;)

Lorraine Hart
Private E-1

Postby Lorraine Hart » Fri May 02, 2008 5:26 am

My main focus has been songwriting, professionally, but I live to write...write to live...so, lots of poetry (a few published) stories, working on two books...and a musical play...plus a personal blog and a blog on a local newspaper site. All of it keeps me sane(?) while I'm also caregiver to my adult daughter who suffers from chronic Lyme disease.

I'm kinda with you Iain...I have to stay inside "boxes" so-to-speak, with songwriting...so poetry is the place I go to for freedom...just bleed whatever it is across the page...but discipline is good...every once in a while! I do some artwork too...just to cleanse the palate and connect things in a different way.

I do have a terribly floppy left-brain...so the business side, after the creation side, is a toughy for me.

pwilliamswriter
Private E-1

Postby pwilliamswriter » Fri May 02, 2008 6:39 am

Linda - God bless! From your mouth to God's ears! I've completed 2 novels and working on a 3rd and used to write poetry all of the time but drifted away while writing the books but now I realize how much I missed it and how good it feels! That compliment you just gave me made my whole year!!! Thank you! Now if only an agent or publisher would say the same thing!

jpenstroke
Lieutenant

RE: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby jpenstroke » Fri May 02, 2008 6:45 am

i liked all the promts once I discovered this site. Prompts always cause me to write something I would have likely never thought to write. Thanks for all the work making this available to us.

midwesternskirt
Private E-1

Postby midwesternskirt » Fri May 02, 2008 8:02 am

how could i possibly forget to include one of my most favorite prompts of april? THE RAMBLE POEM. it was nice to just let a poem run its course without second-guesing every step of the way. that was a great exercise in exploring all sorts of new territory, and i think i managed to get enough interesting detail and inspiration out of the end result to work with in the future versions i craft. whee!

k weber

Mik
Private E-1

Postby Mik » Fri May 02, 2008 11:38 am

I also liked the Sestina - probably because I had never written one before. I also really loved the Poem from a photo - photography is a hobby of mine. Those are my two favorites with the Apology and Insult coming in close behind. This challenge has made me go dig out all my old poetry from over 20 years ago!! That's been fun to go through. Thanks Robert!! If nothing else I hope to type up all my old poetry and create books for my girls. Michelle H.

Jolanta
Private E-1

Postby Jolanta » Fri May 02, 2008 5:25 pm

I absolutely LOVED reading the poems with a twist... they intrigued me no end! Although I must say the one that had the biggest impact on me is the one where we had to write about a piece of music. I don't think it was one of my greatest poems I had ever written, but now everytime I hear music I love, my head swims with words and phrases! It's like combining my two favourite things in the whole wide world!!!!

Laural
Private E-1

Postby Laural » Sat May 03, 2008 2:14 pm

I liked the song and the picture best. The song was a nostalgia trip and the picture took me to another universe, Frida Kahlo's, which had always intrigued me. The sestine? Well, I wrote one. Yes, it was a challenge. I found the poem wasn't so satisfying because I couldn't direct it to where I thought it needed to go.
Laural

PreviousNext

Return to Poetic Asides