Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
SaraV
Private E-1

RE: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby SaraV » Thu May 01, 2008 12:16 pm

:emoticon:

I liked the apology. It let me distill a lot of emotions I had at the time and I felt it was one of my better poems. It was also very different than what I usually write. I also liked the "My ____behaves like" because it let loose a flood of poems in my head. I only submitted one, but it was a lot of fun to walk around thinking up others. And I hate writing haiku. I love reading it, but that is one of the hardest things for me to write.

Rox
Private E-1

Postby Rox » Thu May 01, 2008 12:37 pm

It's a tie:

I liked writing the Day 20 Love poem because it was fun to write something that is so "cliche'd" but not something most people do regularly.

I really enjoyed the Day 15 Insult poem not for it's own sake so much as interacting with other people's posts - I wrote mine (Harley to Joker) in response to Kateri's (Joker to Harley) - and because I'm a geek that likes that particular subject matter.

These two also generated some of my most favorites to read.

Just my $0.42 worth...

-Rox

Lorraine Hart
Private E-1

Re: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby Lorraine Hart » Thu May 01, 2008 1:22 pm

I had a hard time with the insult poem and had to resort to the lame "go for your host" approach...and I put him under a curse rather than insult him...though I suppose a curse might BE insulting...it just gave me no oomph. I always love a love poem...but hey, that sestina...oh yeah...gave me the most. Perhaps we're all using "Reverse Briar Patch" psychology Robert...if we tell you we love it enough...you won't give it to us!

Cheers...Lorraine

CEE ESS
Private E-1

Postby CEE ESS » Thu May 01, 2008 2:03 pm

I liked writing the poem with the paintings as visual prompts. Poems inspired by art have a particular name for them, a difficult word which ...darn... I forget!

I think I liked that particular poem the best of what I wrote.

Carol A. Stephen

Yoli
Private E-1

Postby Yoli » Thu May 01, 2008 2:16 pm

My favorite was Day 13, "write a poem based off your response to a song." That was really a lot of fun, and songs as well as comments people make or lines in a movie all inspire poems from me. The sestina was another favorite, I hadn't done one of those since high school and I was a lot of fun remembering what it was like to have to write with such strict rules. Thank you so much for the challenge.

jackbugs
Private E-1

Postby jackbugs » Thu May 01, 2008 3:59 pm

The sestina was a real challenge, and not my best work, but it certainly got the creative juices working overtime. I can't pick an absolute favorite prompt, but one of my best poems of the month was the love poem, IMO ("Cultivation" ). I gave myself the added challenge of not using the word "love" in the poem. I also had fun with the insult poem ("ROBOT INSULTS" ) the location poem ("Record Store" ) and the one-sided conversation ("Customer Service" ).

Carol: the word you're looking for is "ekphrastic".

pwilliamswriter
Private E-1

Postby pwilliamswriter » Thu May 01, 2008 4:33 pm

I enjoyed the song poem, worry poem, love poem,moments we can't remember, getting older, poem with a twist, worry ... HATED sestina - made me want to throw up (especially when I hit the send button) but the thing about this challenge was that it brought a group of people together who would have never met. We had published, unpublished (me, yes still pursuing, growing bitter about it), novelist, poets, teachers, artists, people from all walks of life and nationalities, coming together to write and read and feel and care. I spent far too much time checking, rechecking for the latest postings and comments but it was absolutely beautiful. And I do feel a loss, the poet that I am, I miss the challenge, the people, the family we became. I look forward to seeing our people trickle into this blog. I mean, we have shared our best and worst moments, our pains, trials and rages, our art with each other. And that makes us friends and it's always hard to say goodbye after you've shared words you've shown to no one else.

drwasy
Captain

Postby drwasy » Thu May 01, 2008 4:44 pm

My favroties were the hiaku, the worry, and the inspired by a song challenges. The sestina was fun, but I had a tough time finding time that day and couldn't just whip one off. hah. Actually, I recently took a poetrywriting class and we did have to write a rondeau and I must've spent 30, maybe 40 hours on it. And I'm still not happy with it.

I also like it when we were called to write in 2nd or 3rd person. So many poems are written in first (mine included) so it's refreshing to get that distance between writer and word. Peace, Linda

Skoder
Private E-1

Postby Skoder » Thu May 01, 2008 9:15 pm

My favorite was someone else's memory of me. It brought out my silly side. My favorite poems are rhyming silly poems because I love word play in poetry rather than "opening a vein." I'm sorry I scratched Dean's nose in my sleep years ago, but I am glad it gave me something funny to write about. I also enjoyed the sestina, but don't want to tackle too many more of them.

Sheryl Oder

yogachic
Private First Class

Postby yogachic » Thu May 01, 2008 10:36 pm

Picking one favorite is too difficult. I found the insult poem a lot of fun to write, to be able to say things one would never really say to a person. Great feeling. I also enjoyed the nature prompt. NOt just writing it, but also reading others responses. The possibilities with that theme are endless and there were a variety of topics and styles posted. Also, the one half of a telephone conversation was something I would have never thought of on my own and it was also fun to write and read the responses.

I just started writing, so it was a great challenge which got my creative juices flowing. I hope to write for children. Any other children's writers here?

Patti Williams, I thought you were a published writer!! I was surprised when I saw your message above. I am just starting down the path and people tell me how difficult and frustrating it can be at times. Right now, for me, the hardest obstacle is the confidence factor (and time to write between my two jobs and housework!!). Anyway, I wanted to say "hang in there, Patti" cause you've got talent. I saw lots of talent in the poetry challenge. I thought I might list my favorites here but am afraid that might be too long.

Thanks again, Robert, for a great learning experience.
Linda H.

PreviousNext

Return to Poetic Asides