Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
Robert Lee Brewer
Private E-2

Postby Robert Lee Brewer » Thu May 01, 2008 7:53 am

Robert Lee Brewer
Private E-2

Postby Robert Lee Brewer » Thu May 01, 2008 7:53 am

All you need to do to start a new thread is click on the new thread button and get to it. I figure I'll start things off, though, with a question related to the April PAD Challenge: which prompt was your favorite and why?

For me, I'd have to say it was Day 20's Love Poem. First off, love poems are what got me into writing poetry in the first place. So there's always been a certain comfort level working there. Secondly, I was hiding the subject of that prompt from my girlfriend all week--telling her it would be her favorite of the entire month (and, of course, it was). It was very pleasurable to unveil that surprise.

In fact, it was kind of similar to the satisfaction I took from surprising everyone with Day 28's poem. Hmm... Which poem was that again? ;)

Anyway, spill the beans on your fave and why.

kberne
Private E-1

Re: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby kberne » Thu May 01, 2008 8:08 am

Actually my favorite WAS the sestina, not that that was my best poem but it was the most challenging and the most satisfying to create. I had a lot of trouble starting and getting the general gist of it but when I finally got going it was fun. I think it is helpful to me as a writer to really stretch myself out of my comfort zone sometimes. It's as if it breaks me open, takes me to a new place I might not have been able to get to on my own.

Anyway, that's my take on it. ~ Kate Berne Miller

johnhmaloney
Private E-1

Postby johnhmaloney » Thu May 01, 2008 8:15 am

Even though I never would have thought so while writing it, in hindsight I'd have to say the sestina. That's the one that really pushed me past what I thought I was capable of writing.

mauzee
Private E-1

Postby mauzee » Thu May 01, 2008 8:18 am

Yeah, my favourite was the sestina too. It was such a challenge and I love challenges. Also I think the form is interesting. I was surprised where it took me. I don't think my sestina was good, but it's whetted my appetite for writing more. I'd like to try other forms too.
Maureen

tonyar
Private E-1

Postby tonyar » Thu May 01, 2008 8:31 am

Isn't it interesting that so many of us are picking the sestina? It was my favorite as well. I think that those of us who stuck out the whole challenge were really in it to stretch ourselves and improve our writing and the sestina definitely did do that. It was a very fun form to work with - one that I'd never attempted before and I am excited to do more.
Tonya Root

PaigeVonLiber
Lieutenant

RE: Which prompt was your favorite and why?

Postby PaigeVonLiber » Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 am

I really like the Persona pieces.
It is fun to try and see things from a different angle as a person, place or thing. It is important to think in terms of "the speaker" when reading a piece instead of assuming that the emotion of the words are the poet's at that given moment. On the same note those emotions surely must have been experienced by the poet or someone very close in order to be able to convey them successfully. Which is why I suppose I do lean on the Love poems.

susanbellnc
Private E-1

Postby susanbellnc » Thu May 01, 2008 9:20 am

Writing poetry for me has always been pretty easy. I can sit down and knock one out pretty quickly. The sestina on the other hand, I beat myself to death over that one. What I wrote I really don't like in and of itself, but I think I can take bits and pieces of it to create other poems. That being said, my favorite was actually the love poem. So many people think love poems are just drivel any more. I think they are great. What better way to tell someone how much you care than with a poem. (A close second was the insult poem. How fun.)

Chris7BA
Private E-1

Postby Chris7BA » Thu May 01, 2008 9:42 am

My favourite happened to be the "Overlooked" poem(Day 11). I didn't have a favourite object that I had focused on, but looked for something that I took for granted day-in and day-out, and I just focused on my friend, the pencil. I have to say it was my first good poem of the challenge.
By the by, my least favourite wasn't the sestina, it was the Haiku. I struggled so much to give it a desert spin, but that was the best I came up with.

Chris Granholm Jr.

HarlequinMuse
Private E-1

Postby HarlequinMuse » Thu May 01, 2008 11:12 am

My favorite had to be writing the poem in third person... Okay, that's a gag because nearly all my poems are in third person. But! I did love the Hitchcock one because it made me think out of the box, trying to get a Joker poem to have a surprising twist at the end made me think of Julia Child of all things. It was just a creative one that was highly entertaining.

And the only reason why I disliked the sestina it wasn't my first time writing one, and I have issues with choosing end words.

Next

Return to Poetic Asides