Come on, we gotta' help each other out.

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
Lilly Starshine

Come on, we gotta' help each other out.

Postby Lilly Starshine » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Hello fellow aspiring poets and poetry fans. I have been checking the critique section of the forums and noticed that no one is critiquing. Okay, I admit I am bad about posting something I have written and then not responding to anyone elses work, I will try to do better. We have all been this way one time or another, but we can all do better. We have to support each other and cheer each other on, and that is what the critique section is for. So come on, we gotta help each other out....Before I go to bed tonight I will respond to at least 2 poems. Thanks everyone, and happy holidays.

Respectfully, Lilly. :D
(forgive any spelling errors, I can't find my spellchecker.)

aplomb

Re: Come on, we gotta' help each other out.

Postby aplomb » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Lilly Starshine wrote:Hello fellow aspiring poets and poetry fans. I have been checking the critique section of the forums and noticed that no one is critiquing. Okay, I admit I am bad about posting something I have written and then not responding to anyone elses work, I will try to do better. We have all been this way one time or another, but we can all do better. We have to support each other and cheer each other on, and that is what the critique section is for. So come on, we gotta help each other out....Before I go to bed tonight I will respond to at least 2 poems. Thanks everyone, and happy holidays.

Respectfully, Lilly. :D
(forgive any spelling errors, I can't find my spellchecker.)

Haha, is it ironic that you have thousands of views but no comments?

I am in a mood today. So I have written quite a few reviews and posted nothing of my own. Yet. I do hope that people critique! I think there should be a personal post to review ratio. Maybe 1:3.

However, I have been on sites where reviewing others is currency. Writing false reviews meant to garner similar favorable reviews. That is just not useful. And annoying.

I just want to also suggest, that people be honest (kindly), and not just put everyone up on a pedestal they don't deserve to be on! As much as I hate it when people don't just sing my praises, in the end, it is more useful. And I don't have to implement the suggestions.

Neil C

Postby Neil C » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:44 am

I'm new to this forum, but will try to contribute as you suggest.

One of my difficulties (give me time - there are plenty!) is that so much of the poetry that gets posted/published these days is free verse - and for the most part I just don't get it (which feels a bit like admitting to Philistinism). I've seen it done well: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock by T S Eliot is, of course, a triumph. But my instinctive preference is for the traditional rhymed stanzaic forms.

Add to that bias the fact that I'm still in the early stages of learning this craft myself and it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that perhaps I'm not (yet) qualified to comment on the majority of poetry!

Neil

Arabrab

Postby Arabrab » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:31 am

Hi- I just joined here yesturday, and commented on a few poems, there were some that I truly didn't know what to say because
a)I didn't understand the intention of the writer b)I'm by no means an educated writer so I had nothing helpful to say
To me, it's fun to see how we understand what each other is trying to convey.
Arabrab

Return to Poetic Asides