Illinois

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Illinois

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:08 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Illinois

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:08 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Illinois:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

MaryD
Private E-1

RE: Illinois

Postby MaryD » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:04 pm

Name of City/Town: Downers Grove, IL

Name of Hot Spot: Downers Grove Library

They have various events for writers. For example:

Writers Workshop
Aspiring writers share their works.
Second and fourth Mondays of the month, 7 p.m.
Nov. 12, 26; Dec. 10
No meeting December 24.

Other Writing Workshops
Presented by Downers Grove resident Kelly James-Enger, author of hundreds of articles for national magazines and six books including "Six-Figure Freelancing: The Writer’s Guide to Making More Money."

Breaking In: Nailing Your First Magazine Assignment
Tues., Nov. 6, 7 p.m.*
While basic writing skills are an essential part of writing for magazines, you also need to know how to select and analyze potential markets, develop winning article ideas, and craft attention-getting query letters. This program will introduce you to some common magazine terminology and cover basics, including how to find markets and story ideas, and how to land your first magazine assignments.

From Glimmer to Go-Ahead: The Art of the Query
Thurs., Nov. 29, 7 p.m.*
The query letter is an essential tool for anyone who wants to write for magazines. Learn what works and what doesn’t, as well as how to target your ideas to different markets. You’ll also learn how to find sources, conduct interviews, and make more money from your freelance work.

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:21 am

From WD reader Katie R.:

Name of City/Town: St. Charles, IL
Name of Hot Spot: Townhouse Books

This independent bookstore really draws "liber-philes" from all over the fox river valley. They have author signings, dinner/luncheon readings, live music ... And the café is always hopping! It's in the historic district and the bookstore is one of the original homes of St. Charles. < http://www.townhousebooks.com/ >

postcool1
Private E-1

Postby postcool1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:53 am

Name of City/Town: Barrington, IL

Name of Hot Spot: T. T. Patton

Not only is this a location to purchase writing items, but there is an exquisite ambience conducive to creativity. There are frequent workshops to encourage writing endeavors with interesting speakers from around the country. These workshops also provide an opportunity to meet and interact with others who enjoy inscribing their thoughts for the future. A shared passion with kindred spirits, self-discovery without boundaries, all in a tranquil and tasteful environment. I believe that my surroundings influence my writing, and that the companionship of other writers is intoxicating -- it is exciting to be in an atmosphere of other creative people!

Well worth checking out...

literarymama
Private E-1

Brewed Awakening Coffee House

Postby literarymama » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:45 am

Brewed Awakening Coffee House, downtown Westmont.
19 West Quincy Street
Westmont, IL 60559
Phone: 630.852.Cafe (2233)
Toll Free: 877.542.2233
email: info@brewedawakening.us

This is a great place for writers for many reasons.

First, they have free WIFI Service. There are also many tables and chairs, and also some comfy chairs near the front with lamps nearby, it's a very cozy atmosphere. It's not a chain coffee store, so there are eclectic items there, such as a horse lamp, and also books to browse through while there. The decor is a bit mismatched, but in a great way. Their house coffee is to die for, it's called Metro Mocha Java. Yum! They bake their muffins and other baked goods fresh daily in-house.

They also have a monthly poetry reading with open mike sign up through the Westmont Area Friends of the Arts in cooperation with the Illinois State Poetry Society. The reading is held on the last Sunday of each month.

They are only open from 5 a.m. to noon, so if you're an early morning riser/writer, this is perfect. On Saturday nights they do have live entertainment, and they even have a house band. They are located across from the Westmont Train station, so it's perfect for a commuter like me. Not only do I get great coffee here, but this cafe also inspires me. Hope to see you there!

Roseblood
Private E-2

Postby Roseblood » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:50 am

Brewed Awakening--I love it! I wish to heck I'd thought of it. Of course, I don't have a Coffee House, so moot point. If I DID, though, that sounds about perfect. I'd serve my own home-made pastries, muffins and bagels, and free coffee to the writers. : ) Someday. Thanks for sharing this with us.

hgallagher
Private E-1

RE: Illinois hot spot

Postby hgallagher » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:59 am

Name of City/Town: Glenview, IL
Name of Hot Spot: Sweet Dreams Cafe / organicisbetter.com

It's all about "serenity now" to quote a Seinfield line. Deep furniture, rich wood, fireplace and candles set the atmosphere for a writer to dive in and work. Good coffee, all organic food, vegan pastries, homemade soup, biscuits, bread, sandwiches. With free wi-fi, stay all day. You won't want to leave, and they won't make you leave.

Helen Gallagher
www.releaseyourwriting.com

Star-Dreamer
Captain

Re: Illinois

Postby Star-Dreamer » Fri May 16, 2008 9:51 pm

There's a place in Eureka Illinois, following highway 24 between bloomington and washington, and there's this little coffe shop there called Meka's. It's on main street. It has such an inspiring atmosphere, with wireless internet if you have a laptop and a desktop where you can hook up to the internet if you don't. People also sell hand crafted jewelry and paintings there, along with other things. There's also the Eureka library, also on main street, where our writers group meets ever other tuesday at 2:00 pm.

TTP
Private E-1

Postby TTP » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:52 pm

Great journals for capturing your thoughts at TT Patton.  Visit www.writewithus.com for other information about writing workshops and journals.

Journals

Next

Return to Literary Hot Spots