Massachusetts

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Massachusetts

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:50 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Massachusetts

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:50 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Massachusetts:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

cjlondon
Private E-1

RE:Massachusetts

Postby cjlondon » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:00 pm

One of the best writing places I've found in Central Massachusetts is the Mount Wachusett Community College Cafeteria. It is bright, sunny, the tables are large in case you want to spread your work out a bit and there is no pressure to leave once you have eaten. It's a great place to sit with a notebook and let your imagination spill onto the paper.
Also during the summer I camp with my kids and I have discovered another great place for writing is Tully Lake campground in Royalston. The neat thing about this writing place is you have to hike into your campground rather than drive. It might sound like a bit of work at first but when your sitting there writing near the lake in the early morning, the silence created by no vehicles really gets the creative juices flowing.

drwasy
Captain

RE: Massachusetts

Postby drwasy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Carla, I know WCC well and that entire Royalston area (lived in Sturbridge for 4 years). Beautiful.

My Massachusetts picks...

City: Boston

Places: Boston Public Library, Boyleston Street; the Trident, Newbury Street (within blocks of each other); the Atheneum

Why: BPL: The reading room has great light, both natural and lamps over the long wooden tables. The high ceiling make for eprfect day-dreaming, and their is cafe there now. In warm weather, you can sit outside and scribble and read. And the books! And the readings! Great repository of archived materials.

The Trident: Such an institution. For the price of a latte, you can sit here all day - and night - and write and read. Great people watching. Interseting and unusual selection of books, cards, and other miscellany with an eclectic, artistic bent.

The Atheneum is a private library, but I had a friend who would let me come with her. Gorgeous building tucked away downtown. Quiet, lavish, interesting, and inspiring. You need to have a membership - or know someone who does.

I wrote my dissertation in these places, as well as penned a few poems, and I'd give my eye teeth to be back in the area for their comfort and inspiration. Peace, Linda

cibo
Lieutenant

Postby cibo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:21 am

oh yes yes yes!!! and the Common.  sometimes, there are poetry readings and people hang out, and oh yeah.  :)

tdkerst
Private First Class

Re: Massachusetts

Postby tdkerst » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:33 pm

Falmouth, MA, on Cape Cod, for its newly renovated/expanded public library, its wireless village, and The Inkwell Bookstore--an extraordinary independent bookseller that's also a center for writing, reading, cultural, and craft clubs.

Nighteagle1091
Private E-1

Postby Nighteagle1091 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:39 am

High Rock Tower in Lynn Ma. From there you can see the Boston skyline, the Lynn shoreline. One of the best places on the planet to get the creative juices flowing...

j t hall
Master Sergeant

Postby j t hall » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:11 am

High Rock Tower in Lynn Ma. From there you can see the Boston skyline, the Lynn shoreline. One of the best places on the planet to get the creative juices flowing...
-----
Hey, I live in Lynn! And I used to go to High Rock when I lived closer to it. Great to sit behind the tower, at the scenic view lookout, and watch the airplanes overhead or leaving Logan Airport. I got a lot of work done there. Just bring a jacket. It can get a bit chilly if the breeze kicks up. Now, although it's a bit further, I like to go to the pond in lLynn Woods. Just sit and veg, let the mind do its thing, and thoughts come. Sometimes it's just description of a scene, but something always comes. Just not as comfortable as High Rock.
Last edited by j t hall on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Originality
Private E-1

Postby Originality » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:36 am

I LOVE Forest Park in Springfield, MA.
It's one of the most relaxing places and there's plenty of room to spread out. It's also quite beautiful and certainly inspiring. There are benches to sit (I prefer the grass, personally).

MSfinished
Corporal

Postby MSfinished » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:43 am

Bates Pond, South Carver. Full of memories that stimulate writing for me.

Next

Return to Literary Hot Spots