Minnesota

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Minnesota

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:45 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Minnesota

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:45 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Minnesota:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

KeithMN
Lieutenant

RE: Minnesota

Postby KeithMN » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:22 am

Name of CityMinneapolis 
Name of Hot Spot: The Loft Literary Center
What makes this spot so great for writers?  Known simply as The Loft (also known as Open Book), it's a renovated warehouse where writers hang out.  They offer educational programs and seminars for all ages, all genres and levels of writing ability. You can participate in a mentoring program, listen to guest speakers or simply drop by for some solitude.  Writers can apply for grants and awards from The Loft.  They offer writing studios, which are very popular.  They even have a Book Club Room where your book club can meet to discuss their latest read.  Need to get away and be with other writers?  They offer writing retreats in different areas.  It's a great atmosphere to be around.  Here are there November Events.

Deb E
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Deb E » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:53 am

The North Woods or any country home at night. During the winter in Minnesota, the nights become perfectly silent. Occasionally, you'll hear a moose snort in the woods, but other than that the night air is a quiet as a vacuum. You can write without any distracting noise, and can even use the silence as inspiration.

During the summer, if you move closer to the shores of Lake Superior, the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks is erie and mysterious. During the winter, the absence of the waves is almost frightening. It all depends on what you like to write.

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:18 am

If you're looking for something natural in the Rochester area, there's this neat spot just north of town off of 48th Street. It's a hill with a nice overlook, and a small cave/sinkhole at the top. There's some development going on nearby, but I don't think it's reached my little spot yet. You used to have to walk through a corn field, and follow a snowmobile trail through the forest to get to the clearing on the top of the small rise, but there's a road going through there now, so it's more accessible.
At least I hope it's still there. I haven't been home in a few years.

Rachel Kovaciny
Private E-1

Re: Minnesota

Postby Rachel Kovaciny » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:58 pm

Mankato has several good coffee houses since there are so many colleges and universities in and around town. The most writer-friendly is probably The Coffee Hag down on Riverfront Ave. They have open mic nights, local musical and literary artists give performances, but other than that they're usually nice and quiet, good for reading or writing.

mdhwenzel
Private First Class

Postby mdhwenzel » Tue May 12, 2009 5:12 pm

I completely agree that The Loft is amazing! I've taken several classes there and I've grown quite a bit in my writing. I enjoy the unique style inside and the coffee shop on the first level. To any author in the MSP/St Paul area, I highly recommend a visit or a class, or two.

Another spot I love to write: a public library. It's free and there are shelves of books if I need inspiration or research.

mdhwenzel
Private First Class

Postby mdhwenzel » Tue May 12, 2009 5:12 pm

I completely agree that The Loft is amazing! I've taken several classes there and I've grown quite a bit in my writing. I enjoy the unique style inside and the coffee shop on the first level. To any author in the MSP/St Paul area, I highly recommend a visit or a class, or two.

Another spot I love to write: a public library. It's free and there are shelves of books if I need inspiration or research.

A.G.B.
Private E-2

Postby A.G.B. » Wed May 13, 2009 3:26 am

Minneapolis Writers Workshop. Every Wednesday 7:30-9:30pm, Black Forest Inn. Minneapolis www.mnwriters.org

A.G.B.
Private E-2

Postby A.G.B. » Wed May 13, 2009 3:26 am

Minneapolis Writers Workshop. Every Wednesday 7:30-9:30pm, Black Forest Inn. Minneapolis www.mnwriters.org

Next

Return to Literary Hot Spots