Ohio

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Ohio

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:28 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Ohio

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:28 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Ohio:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

Brian
Lieutenant

RE: Ohio

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 am

Name of City/Town: Cincinnati
Name of Hot Spot: Highlands Coffee House

The quiet and low-key atmosphere of this coffee house gives you just the right level of background noise to keep your mind on your book and out of other folks' conversations. It offers a wide array of drinks (including non-coffee beverages for those of us who don't drink coffee) and even a few sandwiches. The location is very central and close to the University, which gives it the always-important "hip" vibe. The service can be a little slow at times, but that just means fewer interruptions--very conducive to the writing culture. It's my favorite place to write.

diamondlyfe
Private E-1

Postby diamondlyfe » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:18 pm

There's a great place in the heart of downtown Bedford, Ohio ( a suburb of Cleveland). Cyber Pete's Internet Cafe, one of the first internet cafe's in the area. Nothing fancy infact all the furnishing are thrift store picks, theres a sundae and fountain bar and you can get burgers. What makes it such a good place to write? There is a plethora of old books and vintage toys and the place smells of a second hand bookstore and looks like a throwback of days long gone. Ofcourse the free wi-fi is what drew me and the atmosphere keeps me going back.

corbillardier
Private E-1

Postby corbillardier » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:05 am

Name of City/Town: Columbus, OH
Name of Hot Spot: Kafe Kerouac

The co-owner's a writer! They have regular poetry readings! Two computers with internet access and a printer you can use. WiFi. Weekly writers' critique groups. Bottomless cups of coffee. A beer and liquor license. They always play good music. Comfy ambience and friendly staff and patrons. Definitely not a cookie-cutter cafe like Starbucks.

tjohio007
Private E-1

Postby tjohio007 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:30 pm

The Porter Library in Westlake is a great place to write. I write along the windows in the back near fiction. During the summer there is an outside area that is real relaxing.

Lexi
Commander in Chief

Postby Lexi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:09 am

Name of City: Medina (about 30 minutes south of Cleveland, map included in the link below)

Name of Hot Spot: Panera Bread

If you stop in at any time other than the lunch rush, it's a pretty quiet place with some of the best food (soup, salad, desserts, etc.) and drinks (everything from Italian soda to Cafe Mocha).  There are many Panera Bread locations throughout Ohio, but I like this one in particular because of how it's laid out.  There can be quite a few people there and you can still spread out.  There's even a corner section with a couple of couches and a coffee table that's separated from the main area by a free-standing wall.  There are boothes and regular table, also high tables.  If you really want to be secluded, the conference room is open for public use when not reserved (which is most of the time).  It's very quiet in there, but not completely isolated from the rest of the restaurant.

The best part is, there's free Wi-Fi so you can multi-task, and outlets to plug your laptop into (if you're planning on staying a while), and they don't care how long you sit there after you've finished your food and drink.  It's mostly a self-serve style cafe, but if you sit there long enough with an empty tray, they'll take it for you, without pressuring you to leave or buy something else.  Very friendly atmosphere.  I've spent hours at a time in there...both writing and observing.  Or, as I like to call it, doing character research.  ;)

http://www.panerabread.com/cafes/result ... ion=search

Return to Literary Hot Spots