Pennsylvania

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Grace Dobush
Private E-1

Re: Pennsylvania

Postby Grace Dobush » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 am

I used to live in Pittsburgh and wrote a lot of my columns for the Trib PM (see http://www.gracedobush.com/columns.html ) at the 61C Cafe in Squirrel Hill. The music was good, the cookies were tasty, and the baristas didn't mind if you were there straight until they closed at midnight. Sometimes you gotta ask them to reboot the wifi router to get internet, but it's all good. :)

Eli grey
Private E-1

Postby Eli grey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:24 am

i live in philadelphia pa. i would like to meet interesting people of the writing community to collaborate with and perhaps form a writing group. it can start small at first. any ages would be welcome. anyone who has ideas and tips to help others. i work in the city and travel to the northeast everyday. we could start out by meeting in cafes across town and see how we expand from there. if your are interested, my email is callmegreggy@yahoo.com.

shadesofkin
Private E-1

Postby shadesofkin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:45 am

When I moved to Butler, PA I found myself in a hole, it's one of the worst towns I've ever had the desire to see set fire, and trust me, I moved enough to be able to say that with accuracy.
But I found myself more inclined to write when I'm here...I hate this place so much, and yet whenever I'm away from the people and the drugs and the bad music and the welfare slaves, I find myself incapable of writing at anywhere near the level I can when I'm seething with venom at this place.

But that maybe just me, it's library isn't a bad place to go, though I find that I'm often doing my best when I've been to the mall or to the local super center to walk around and listen to the people around me.

Jennmax
Private E-1

Postby Jennmax » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi. I live in Pottstown and drive to work in center city Philadelphia every day. If you get a writer's group started, please let me know. I can be emailed at jennmax01@yahoo.com. I would definitely be interested in taking part.

Eli grey
Private E-1

Postby Eli grey » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:50 am

I seem to be having a hard time finding other writers out here in Philadelphia. If anyone knows of place I can start looking that would be great. Thanks.

crazylady
Sergeant First Class

Postby crazylady » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:14 pm

I had to look when I saw Pennsylvania. Then to see Dubois listed. Hello neighbor. I was born in Dubois, grew up outside of Erie, then moved back to Caledonia (between you and St Mary's) and raised my kids there.

Yes, I have to agree. Not much to do and everyone knows your business. I live in central virginia now but enjoy traveling home on visits. If you get bored you can always go sit on Winslow hill and watch the elk (aka oversize cows with antlers).

Anyway just wanted to say Hi and keep warm, winters coming. At least it will give you time to write because it is too cold to go outside.

Gina

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Doylestown is indeed, a very sweet & pleasant town. I wish I was there right now. New Hope is also a gem.

As for Philadelphia, I know it well but haven't been there recently. There were plenty--and I mean, plenty--of venues for literatti. Cafes, bookshops, museum culture, plazas, university hangouts, readings, signings, poetry in the park, book groups. Books everywhere. The arts and culture are big in Philly.

Or 'were'. Last time I checked in, even the most valiant and historic dusty little used book shops were being killed off.

An agonizing blow felt by everyone was when Border's bookstore got whacked. Before that, Waldenbooks was another chain found strangled. Tower Books also bit dirt. Now I believe PHL is down to maybe just two B&N locations.

I can't say what lit scene might still be leftover there after the modern-day flood of iPods and Blackberries which has rolled over the east coast. Pretty much like that Canary Island tsunami they're always warning us about. But hopefully if you stroll down on Schuylkill River park on a warm Sunday morning, you will still see people lying in the grass with open books before them.
Blow up the bridge?!

Previous

Return to Literary Hot Spots