Pennsylvania

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Pennsylvania

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:27 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Pennsylvania

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:27 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Pennsylvania:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

rebelwriter
Private E-1

RE: Pennsylvania

Postby rebelwriter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:35 pm

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, and nearby New Hope

Steeped in writing history! In this area is the Pearl Buck House, which offers tours. You'll see her manuscripts, her stuff and her Nobel Prize too! Also from Doylestown, Rogers and Hammerstein, Margaret Mead, James Michener, to name a few. The James Michener Museum in Doylestown contains his writing studio, including his typewriter, awards, books, and a hand-corrected manuscript. There's also a running video about him. This is actually an art museum funded by him, and a wonderful one at that.

The other branch of the James Michener Museum is in New Hope, and here there is a great display of all the Bucks County literati, and a fun movie highlighting all the films that have been made from area writer's scripts. From Marx Brothers films to musicals to classic dramas, Doylestown area writers have done it all.

Also, on a personal note, my own first novel takes place in Doylestown. It's an inspiring place!

As far as places for writers to hang out...In Doylestown Boro there's a place called The Writer's Corner which holds workshops, hosts writer's groups, and has open-door coffee hours on selected weekends. Very cool. Plus it's right up the street from a fantastic independent bookstore, The Doylestown Bookshop. What more do you want?

Gia
Private E-1

Postby Gia » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:58 am

My literary hot spot is the Coffee Bean Cafe on Route 30 in Latrobe, PA. Not only do we meet there as the Beanery Writers but we enjoy delicious sandwiches and tempting coffee concoctions. We meet twice a month in a lovely back room. We just published Beanery Writers, Volume I. Each year we will create another publication. The next one will center on the enchanting town of Ligonier, home of the Ligonier Valley Writers and the Loyalhanna Review.

drwasy
Captain

Postby drwasy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:45 pm

I hope you include the Moravian Tile works in your book - a beautiful and unusual place! Next time I visit, I'll check out the palces you mentioned... Peace, Linda

janet
Major

Postby janet » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Well, I saw the name Pennsylvania and I just had to have a look, as a gal from Pittsburgh, PA - actually, up the river NE in a town called Arnold, surrounded by New Kensington, near Oakmont and other neat places, too numerous to mention! I imagine my old university haunts of Shadyside and Oakland must have some neat hang-outs, but it's been years since I've been back ('99), although PA is always in my heart!

janet

ellioterickson
Private E-2

Postby ellioterickson » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:39 am

Well PA, is a place where half my heart is but I should never go to. My EX-- with ring and all-- is a lawyer in PA. I am interested though so I hope more people post because when i finish the novel I am working on i am planing a book signing there and would love to meet up with others in the craft.

Justin

Alananm
Private E-1

Postby Alananm » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:27 pm

I am from Pgh PA, and I can tell you there are great spaces on the campuses in Oakland. Schenley Plaza has a classic carosel, live music (often jazz) food stands and an open air lawn (as well as a tent if it gets too hot) it has free wi-fi, and I think there might be places to plug in laptops as well.

If that's not enough, it's also situated between two libraries, Hillman Library, which belongs to teh University of Pittsburgh and the public library. So you can go and enjoy yourself, relax, sit in the shade or the sun, people watch, it's a great place.

Market Sq, Downtown, is also a good spot for people watching, it has live music sometimes, and a wide assortment of people. However, it might be a little too crowded for writing

Denim Trousers
Corporal

Re: Pennsylvania

Postby Denim Trousers » Sun May 11, 2008 1:12 pm

I live in DuBois, Pennsylvania, a boring little town where anonymity is more or less nonexistent and everyone knows your business. There aren't many things to do in DuBois but go to the Lake, the bowling alley, or out hunting. Unfortunately, I do none of these things. Thankfully, it causes my imagination to work in overdrive and ideas hit me almost daily, so much that I can't even catalogue them any more. Alas boredom also leads one to wish they were out of the kind of hell-hole that DuBois is, so sporadic trips to other towns like Clarion, Clearfield, State College, and maybe even Pittsburgh on the weekends, are commonplace. I often spend nights at local twenty-four hour restaurants like Perkins or Eat & Park with my pen and a notebook, writing down stories or poems or both. This summer I look to start a writers' workshop anywhere that will have me, as I'm dying for a bit more of a creative outlet than what's currently (un)available.

Denim Trousers
Corporal

Postby Denim Trousers » Sun May 11, 2008 1:15 pm

Wow, rebelwriter, looks like I'll have to make my way over to Doylestown sometime and check out the writing scene. Sounds fantastic!

Next

Return to Literary Hot Spots