[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
New York : Literary Hot Spots • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

New York

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

New York

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:35 am

Brian
Lieutenant

New York

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:35 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in New York:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

glecharles
Private E-1

RE: New York

Postby glecharles » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:30 am

There's a ton in New York City, of course, but here's two of my personal favorites:

Name of City/Town: New York, NY
Name of Hot Spot: Bowery Poetry Club (http://www.bowerypoetry.org)
As Thomas Lux put it last weekend, "It's a club in New York City dedicated to poetry 24/7!" An eclectic calendar of events attracts a number of different scenes who mix and mingle at the bar or in the small Cafe up front.

Name of City/Town: New York, NY
Name of Hot Spot: 13 Bar Lounge (http://www.louderarts.com/louder/)
Monday nights, specifically, for the louderARTS reading series, features an impressive mix of "traditional" and "performance" poets and as welcoming an open mic as you'll find in NYC. Plus, 2-for-1 drinks, a must-have for a true "hot spot". (Disclaimer: I founded the series back in 1998 and friends of mine have kept it going strong since I stepped down at the end of 2001.)

zeldadg
Private E-1

Postby zeldadg » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:26 pm

City: New York, NY
Place: The Library Hotel

My biblophile's desire is The Library Hotel. It has ten floors of the Dewey Decimal System: You can stay on the Science and Math floor, the History and Technology floor, or my favorite, the Literature floor. Each room is a sub topic of the floor theme and is chock full of books based on it.

So the Lit floor has rooms centered around the classics, poetry, fairy tales and even erotic literature for Valentine's Day.
Guests can use the Writer's Den and sit by a crackling fire while they read, or check out the Poetry Garden, a greenhouse that accesses outdoor seating for fair weather frolics.

It's like a big piece of cheesecake on Mount Everest - I'll never get there, but it sure looks good. I'll have to live vicariously off the virtual tour.

You can check out The Library Hotel's website for more info. I'm not being paid to endorse it. It just looks seriously cool.
http://www.libraryhotel.com/

otamolloy
Private E-1

Postby otamolloy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:42 pm

List your Literary Hot Spots in New York:

Name of City/Town: Buffalo

Name of Hot Spot: The whole city

What makes this spot so great for writers? Outside of New York and San Francisco, there are few cities that compare with Buffalo for sheer number of readings per month, not to mention a wide range of aesthetically diverse scenes that all have audiences. Buffalo has a long history of poetry love, which dates back to the founding of the state University at Buffalo in the sixties. Poet Charles Olson was the first to teach there, followed by Robert Creeley, who remained in Buffalo for almost 40 years. His legacy to the city was insisting that although poets like himself might find homes on college campuses, poetry was something that happened in the community. His influence lead to the founding of Just Buffalo Literary Center, in existence since 1975 and on of the 10 largest literary centers in the country, and also to the Poetics Program at SUNY Buffalo, a hugely influential program that spawned many of the great poets writing in the last two decades. Just Buffalo sponsors no less than 8 poetry events per month, the Poetics Program another one or two, plus there are regular literary series at Medaille College, Canisius, Buffalo State College, The Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Rust Belt Books, and Talking Leaves Books. These readings range from post-avant writing to poetry slams to what Ron Silliman calls the "School Of Quietude," plus all sorts of fiction and prose read by Nobel Prize Winners, locals, and everyone in between. Not only that, you can live well on a part time job in Buffalo, which makes it one of the last affordable cities (with a real literary scene) in the country for writers to live in.

RuthTC
Private E-1

RE: New York state

Postby RuthTC » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Name of City/Town:
Rochester, NY

Name of Hot Spot:
Writers and Books (www.wab.org)

Rochester as a whole is a good town for writers, because it's compact, full of wonderful arts and educational institutions, imbued with an interesting cultural history and industrial past, and accessible to NYC and DC, but mainly because of Writers and Books, the local writers' center. I'm partial to WAB because I teach classes there, but even if I didn't, I'd give it props. WAB offers classes on various types of writing and resources for writers, special programs for children, a variety of interest groups, an annual "If Everyone in Rochester Read the Same Book" event, and more.

writerbaby
Private E-1

Postby writerbaby » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:27 am

Name of City/Town: New York
Name of Hot Spot: The Mudspot ()

They play great music and the food is good. The coffee and the hot chai are to die for! The space in the back can sometimes get crowded but when it's quiet, which is mostly, the tables are big enough to lay out your books and papers so you can write.

RambleDown
Private E-2

Re: New York

Postby RambleDown » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:47 am

Ithaca, NY (not that I would EVER describe Ithaca as hot weather-wise). Gimmie Coffee.

Good people watching--hot college students abound! Great coffee and everyone leaves you alone if you want them to. Not to mention, Ithaca is particularly beautiful with its gorges and fall colors. And there are many bong shops if you're into that kind of thing. :)

-Ramble

RambleDown
Private E-2

Postby RambleDown » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:47 am

Ithaca, NY (not that I would EVER describe Ithaca as hot weather-wise). Gimmie Coffee.

Good people watching--hot college students abound! Great coffee and everyone leaves you alone if you want them to. Not to mention, Ithaca is particularly beautiful with its gorges and fall colors. And there are many bong shops if you're into that kind of thing. :)

-Ramble

girlxinxstory
Private E-1

Postby girlxinxstory » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:49 am

I completely agree about the Bowery Poetry Club in New York City, but I have two more to add.

Name of City/Town: New York city
Name of Hot Spot: The Strand

The Strand is New York City's most famous source for new and used books, but it's a literary hot spot because it regularly hosts book signings and discussion. Chuck Palahniuk was signing copies of his latest novel at the Strand just last month.

Name of City/Town: New York City
Name of Hot Spot: The Morgan Library and Museum

It isn't exactly a hot spot, but the Morgan Library and Museum is definitely a literary institution. They have an impressive selection of historical manuscripts, and you can make an appointment to study them in private. My favorite is the original manuscript of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Next

Return to Literary Hot Spots