Colorado

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Colorado

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:25 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Colorado

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:25 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Colorado:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

lharris927
Private E-1

RE: Colorado

Postby lharris927 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:15 pm

Colorado Springs

Our critique group used to meet at Panera Bread, but it was always crowded and noisy (and sometimes smelly when something got burned). :(

Now we meet at Pikes Perk near the East Library and next to School Crossing and Toy Station. It's quiet, intimate, and more conducive to critiquing. Since we're all Christians, we enjoy the local Christian radio station in the background. And the hospitality is wonderful! :)

kmakens
Private E-1

Postby kmakens » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 am

Colorado Springs

By far, the best place in town is the Poor Richard's complex downtown on Tejon.

In the Poor Richard's bookstore, you can not only find tons of used books for inspiration, but there are large tables for groups and space for signings.
In Rico's, you can grab a cup of coffee, a glass of wine or a sipping chocolate (!) and find a table by yourself for some serious writing (with lots of access to electricity for keeping your laptop going longer than than its battery.)
And if you're hungry, Poor Richard's restaurant (and Rico's too) offers the best pizza, tapas and salads in town. And for your sweet tooth, a yummy lemon bar!

The free Wi-Fi is perfect for Internet research or e-mailing an agent. And the staff--and owner Richard Skorman--are super friendly and helpful. And if you're fresh out of ideas, find a seat in the window. It's perfect for people-watching on Tejon.

tashidog
Private E-1

Postby tashidog » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:26 pm

Windsor, Colorado

Since I can't sing it, I will tell you about the "place where everybody knows your name". It is "Loodles" in Windsor. I frequent this cafe/bookshop for the best chai on this side of the Rockies and the all-around smiles. Here friends mingle and strangers become friends. No one is ever in a hurry. It is a place that provides a welcome respite from the insane hustle of the outside world. For our Northern Colorado Writers group it gives a tranquil hangout, where relaxation, laughter and camaraderie are always on the menu.

flashgordon
Sergeant Major

Postby flashgordon » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:24 am

I would say the Trident in Boulder, Colorado. You can sit in the exact same chair that Ginsberg, Waldman, Kerouac, and many other famous writers sat in. The atmosphere is Old World, and the people are interesting. Makes for a great place to write - plus there are usually several other writers hanging about.

Horror_Writer
Master Sergeant

Postby Horror_Writer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Praise Jebus!

I was hoping for something like this. I wonder if there is any groups that meet near Thornton though? *shrugs*

Lorcan
Private E-1

Re: Colorado

Postby Lorcan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:47 am

GRAND JUNCTION, CO

a) Traders Coffee on 7th and F Road/Patterson. Lots of tables and a good number of outlets. Decent pastries. Free Wi-fi. Open everyday (except for Christmas and Thanksgiving, I think), closes late. Great location. Downside: Can be very noisy. Coffee and customer service quality inconsistent. More expensive than most other coffee houses in town.

b) Coffee Muggers on Main Street near 7th St. Free wi-fi, great customer service & coffee, open everyday. Downside: very few tables.

c) Coffee Studio. SE corner of F Road and 29 Road, in the Safeway shopping center. Great customer service and good coffee. Cozy atmosphere, usually quiet. No wi-fi (which can be a downside or upside). Lots of tables. Downside: Closes early, location a little out-of-the-way.

d) Colorado Java House. 5th Street and Colorado, in downtown area just south of Main St. Free wi-fi, great coffee and customer service. Good location. Downside: Only about 3-4 tables inside, so can be kind of cramped. Closed Sundays, closes early other times.

e) Cups Coffee House. 12th St., north of Patterson. Victorian-style building next to the Docs on Call complex. Free wi-fi, cozy, tearoom-like interior. Brand-new nonprofit coffee shop benefiting the Hospice. BEST and CHEAPEST coffee in town at $1/cup. Good amount of tables plus meeting room. Downside: not great location (surrounded by construction), making it difficult to find; no food except for some cookies/brownies; might be a little stuffy/formal, depending on your mood.

My overall favorite is Traders, despite the inconsistent quality of coffee and customer service. Great location, lots of tables and natural light make it easy to write the day away. Sometimes, those are all that matter.

Cheers,
Marjorie

narniaprincess
Private E-1

Re: Colorado

Postby narniaprincess » Thu May 01, 2008 8:03 am

Name of City/Town: Colorado Springs
Name of Hot Spot: Panera Bread on Powers
What makes this spot so great for writers? Panera is very welcoming, doesn't mind if I sit for HOURS, has a decent number of plug-ins for power and they have free refills on coffee, tea, soda and other assorted drinks. I often go and camp out for 4+ hours at a time and don't get any flack from the staff (I do always buy something, but it might be small, like a drink and bagel). Several of the staff have even inquired as to what I do and they encourage me the next time they see me (with a "how's the story coming?"). I find the environment very conducive to writing (not critiquing, which is better done in a quiet home setting!) and would recommend it to anyone. The Powers location is my favorite and the one where I have the best time!

JettVega
Private E-1

Postby JettVega » Wed May 21, 2008 8:57 am

Any suggestions in Denver or Aurora? Hard for us city folk to get all the way to Colorado Springs on a regular basis lol.

Here's the few okay ones I've found so far:

Name of City/Town: Denver/Lone Tree
Name of Hot Spot: Peaberry Coffee
What makes this spot so great for writers? While I don't recommend the one in Cherry Creek because its too busy and loud, the Peaberry Coffees in DTC and on County Line (near Park Meadows) are not half bad for writing. The drinks are good, the chairs are comfy, the net access is free, and the staff is friendly. My main issue with Peaberry is their hours. The one in DTC closes absurdly early (sometimes as early as 4pm I think) and the one in Lone Tree closes around 7-8pm.

Name of City/Town: Aurora
Name of Hot Spot: It's a Grind @ Chambers/Parker
What makes this spot so great for writers? Its relatively quiet sans for some music. The drinks are good and its not a big enough place to even get crowded. If you can time your visit, you can also land one of the big comfy chairs.

I'm not sure if either of these would count as 'hot spots' but they're the closest thing I know so far. By all means, Denver-ites chime in!

Next

Return to Literary Hot Spots