Wisconsin

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Wisconsin

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:19 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Wisconsin

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:19 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Wisconsin:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

luigibasco
Private E-1

RE: Wisconsin

Postby luigibasco » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:32 pm

Fixx Coffee House
3558 E Sivyer Avenue
St Francis WI 53235
414-482-0919
Shari Frantz, owner

A scant block from the shores of beautiful (frigid this time of year) Lake Michigan, sits a place that I like to think of as my living room. That is, if my living room had 1800 square feet, four large, comfortable leather couches, and a duo in the corner playing for my entertainment. During the day the place is well-lighted, while in the evenings, the overheads are turned down, or off, and a warm glow from the strategically-placed incandescent lights suffuses the place.

Welcome to Fixx Coffee House. Plenty of glass allows sunlight to stream in during the day, making it a great meeting place, a quiet place to read the newspaper or your favorite book, and a friendly, homey atmosphere. “St Francis’s living room” is almost home, down to the friendly and cheerful owner and staff. You won’t remain a stranger very long in this place, evidenced by the greeting you get as soon as your nose enters the door, down to the cheerful “thanks” and “come back soon” you hear as you’re leaving. In between, you’re left as alone as you want to be, or Jessie, Shari, Hannah, Justyna, or another will be sitting at your table chatting, if that’s more to your liking.

St Francis is a short ten-minute drive from Milwaukee and was, until recently, a place where you practically need a passport and visa to get into, because it’s so different from Milwaukee. And we even have our own “Officer Opie,” several of them in fact, to prove it. In the past couple of years, however, St Francis and nearby Cudahy have been slowly shaking off their somnambulance and establishing an identity. Granted, it’s not an identity that everybody’s comfortable with. There are still plenty of Luddites around who still aren’t too sure ‘bout those new-fangled contraptions that replaced the horses.

The homemade baked goods (try their signature cinnamon rolls, already locally famous), the Wisconsin-famous Door County Coffee, and free Wi-Fi are just a few of the amenities offered here. [Fixx is the only place south of Green Bay which carries Door County Coffee.] The entertainment is open mike in the evenings with the opportunity to hear a new, local group, a budding poet, or a supremely confident shower-singer. The huge coffee table (what else, in a coffee house?) is surrounded by the couches and contains a large selection of magazines and local and Chicago newspapers to read while sipping your coffee, one of the several types of chai, or the many “different” fruity or soft drinks. When there’s no live entertainment the music is kept at a comfortable background level.

Although Fixx has been around for less than two months, it’s already established as “the in place” for book clubs, writer’s groups, sewing circles, and high school groups, as well as a local hangout for all ages. There’s a drive-through for commuters and busy moms who need a quick pick-me-up or a pound of freshly-ground coffee, and an extensive, healthy menu of panini and other snacks. Fixx has a personals board for those looking to get Fixxed up. [60% of first meetings nationwide take place in coffee shops.] Shari’s newest project is a monthly gourmet cooking class, and the “artist’s wall” features a new photo or art display monthly.

The new building also houses a hair salon, and across the street is an English-style pub that opened about a year ago. There’s also a new shopping center planned for the now-vacant lot facing Fixx. There’s plenty of parking, and an outdoor patio that’s pet-friendly.

If you’re coming to Fixx and need directions, don’t ask for Sivyer Avenue, though. The finishing touches are just now being added to the street, and the street sign isn’t even up yet. Fixx is located on the west side of Packard Avenue a block north of Howard Avenue.
© 2007 Lou Novacheck

Return to Literary Hot Spots