Illinois

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
TTP
Private E-1

RE: Illinois

Postby TTP » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:52 pm

Great journals for capturing your thoughts at TT Patton.  Visit www.writewithus.com for other information about writing workshops and journals.

Journals

TTP
Private E-1

RE: Illinois

Postby TTP » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Beginning March 3rd, TT Patton will offer a quiet writing room for busy people to relax and reflect on what your thoughts are telling you. Join a small group of like-mind people to share your journaling experience. The classes will be held on Tuesdays 6:30-8:30pm and led by writer Mary Klest. Trained as a journalist her writing career spans 20 years. Giving Up Control / A Simpler Life - 6 weekly sessions, begins March 3rd. Visit www.WriteWithUs.com for details on workshop descriptions and registration.

timewisely
Private E-1

Re: Illinois

Postby timewisely » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 am

Name of City/Town: Chicago, IL (Logan Square)
Name of Hot Spot: Uncharted Books
What makes this spot so great for writers? A self-proclaimed "used bookstore and writers' workspace", Uncharted Books features plenty of seating and tables, great lighting, and a cool steampunk ambiance.

MarkoftheMountain
Private E-1

Postby MarkoftheMountain » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:56 pm

The Bourgeois Pig in Chicago near the DePaul campus. It's got a European sense to it, with upper and lower floors, as well as a patio area. An excellent place for gatherings or the singular marauding writer on the make.

Ashbary's in Willowbrook. A cultural oasis where a lot of alt personalities hang out. They regularly serve coffee and sandwiches, but some beer too. They host a lot of events in their theater upstairs, improv nights and the like.

The Coffee Shop in Rogers Park Chicago, right across from Loyola. A bohemian place run by a jewish woman named Tammy. Very unassuming and a welcoming atmosphere to boot.

bdukes2962
Private E-1

Postby bdukes2962 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:14 pm

It's sad that no has added anything to this thread. I would love to hear more about literary hot spots in IL. If this means, though, where one likes to write, it can be anywhere. There are a lot of great parks in IL. You can easily pick one, bring a blanket and find a tree. :D

Jeanne Cole
Private E-1

Postby Jeanne Cole » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:45 am

I also love to write/read in parks. It gives me so much peace just being able to have a fresh air. But the thing is, you can't have enough peace on a weekend because there are a lot of people roaming around.

bdukes2962
Private E-1

Postby bdukes2962 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:02 pm

not in my area. I discovered a great semi secluded spot in Chopin park where I can sit and write. :D It is still 3 days 'til the weekend and I can't wait to go to my "secret" place

Star-Dreamer
Captain

Postby Star-Dreamer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:22 am

In Peoria Illinois, there are several places you can sit and write, and there are a few in Washington as well. :)

In Peoria: two of my favorites are the Barnes and Noble cafe, just off War Memorial Drive. I work there now. We encourage writers to come in and have free wi-fi, and of course there's also coffee... ;) We also hold writing events and author signings... and we're a bookstore, so that's a plus too.

Then there's 30/30 coffee downtown. Its quite an interesting place. They just serve coffee there, though, so if you are planning on eating anything you might want to bring your own food. Free wi-fi, of course.

And in Washington Illinois, there's "The Blend", a sweet little coffee shop just off main street. Lots of students end up going there to study, and its well lit with big bay windows that I find inspiring (and sometimes distracting...). Soft music plays in the background, and of course there's coffee and free wifi. :)
~Nikki~
The face was both familiar and strange in all the wrong ways. He knew it like he knew life, like he drew breath...
But never so still. Never so pale. Never so...
Dead.
"Father?"
No reply. No movement. No breath.
The dark twins never lied.

maplington
Private E-1

Postby maplington » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 pm

In Chicago, The Coffee Studio at 5628 N Clark St is an excellent writing spot. They provide free wifi, but they give you a slip of paper with a code that is good for an hour; after that, you have to go get another slip of paper. I find this to be a plus because web surfing distractions are minimized.

Like any good coffee shop, it gets crowded on weekends and peak times. But get there early and there are usually plenty of seats available.

Previous

Return to Literary Hot Spots