Maryland

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Alienscifi

Re: Maryland

Postby Alienscifi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:04 pm

I live in Baltimore, MD. I'm looking into BSFC. What can you tell me about how I can be a science fiction writer where I live?

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:39 pm

you can be any kind of writer you want to be, no matter where in the world you may live, isaac...

hugs, maia
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls

Postby pls » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:17 pm

My standard recommendation to those who have chosen a particular genre to write in is to first read at least 100 examples - novels, not just short stories - of the genre. With SF, I'm not talking movies or TV series, either, unless you plan to write scripts, and I'm certainly not recommending writing fan fiction, although a few SF/F writers started out that way before they learned to develop their own ideas. Then write, write, write.

Alienscifi

Postby Alienscifi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:19 pm

pls wrote:My standard recommendation to those who have chosen a particular genre to write in is to first read at least 100 examples - novels, not just short stories - of the genre. With SF, I'm not talking movies or TV series, either, unless you plan to write scripts, and I'm certainly not recommending writing fan fiction, although a few SF/F writers started out that way before they learned to develop their own ideas. Then write, write, write.

I listen to audio books and for the record, I do want to publish a script. Specifically, for a graphic novel series.

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 am

yes, we all know that by now, isaac... you've only said so about a hundred times, i think... but just listening to audio books is not the way to learn how to write one... to learn how to be a writer, you must read actual books/stories/scripts, or whatever it is you want to write... constantly...

not just listen to it...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Previous

Return to Literary Hot Spots