[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do not like the codes. : FAQs • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do not like the codes.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
pls
Site Admin

Re: Do not like the codes.

Postby pls » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:08 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:34 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 pm

I couldn't agree more, and my suggestion for a point-of-registration CAPTCHA coupled with a simple Q&A feature - built right into the phpBB software but not activated - is in the inboxes of those who can make the changes.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Well Paul, I had to laugh at your comment; however, never make a Taurus (sign of the bull) angry. What i wrote above was also sent to Brian. I think more people should complain to him and perhaps he will show the emails to the big wigs in charge. Anyway, hope it helps. One other thing, YIPES WHAT'S WITH THE COLOR THING LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I NEED MY MAGNIFYING GLASS TO READ THE NUMBERS AND LETTERS. :mrgreen: But I'll keep smiling through all the strife :lol:
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Carol, the different colors are a feature of CAPTCHA to foul spambots, although there are different levels of convolutedness to them. We seem to have been blesses with the worst.

Everyone: I've heard back from Brian, who has received your messages and has encouraged the techies to come up with something different to stop the spam. He emphasizes that spam-fighting here is a work in progress and to try to be patient (don't kill the mod) until they can get everything worked out to everyone's satisfaction. Be assured that he hates spam as badly as we do.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Calm down, people. No need to abandon the forums yet. The codes are gone!

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:49 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:50 pm

I've been here long enough to remember when this particular forum software was put into use, re[;acing what most though was a better system. In fairness, I think the powers that be thought this was great software when they installed it, but it's obviously outdated now.

There are systems out there now that make fighting spam both easy and cheap. We need it here.

tom9
Private E-2

Postby tom9 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:07 am

I suggest a simple solution:

What if this site's frequent posters collectively agree to migrate to a different forum, and then carry on as usual?

Would "Tinicum Incorporated" get the message?

How about writers.net, which would be ideal for such an immigration? That site has been moribund for years, and if we all joined writers.net, we'd in effect own the place--it has only 3-4 regular posters as is.

And their vBulletin forum software works great!

Seriously--just a thought--

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs