[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Remaindered Books : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Remaindered Books

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
DrG2
Colonel

Remaindered Books

Postby DrG2 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:51 pm

I don't know if any of you are on the publishing side of the business. Remaindered Books are books that haven't sold well and the publisher tries to get rid of them at lower prices.

For example, I recently bought a trade paperback version of "Ender's Game" with a movie tie-in for $4.99 whereas the price on the cover was $12.99. The remaindered books usually have a mark on the edge of the pages (in Sharpie).

My question is: Does the author get paid for these? Do they count in sales numbers?

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Remaindered Books

Postby mammamaia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 am

they would have to... i can't imagine a book contract with a clause that says the author won't get paid unless the books are sold in a bookstore... or that an author with any sese would sign such a contract...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:42 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:09 am

since they'd have to have been purchased from the publisher, that would still be income the author is meant to get a percentage of...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:51 pm

No, writers do not get paid for remaindered books. The publisher sells a massive number at a time, and usually does so far below cost, or at true cost. All the publisher is trying to do with these books is recoup cost. The publisher isn't making a profit, so neither does the writer.

Discount books are not necessarily remaindered books. If the store pays the standard price for the books, which includes writer royalty, the store can, if it wishes sell the books on discount.

But remaindered books, no, the writer makes no money from them at all.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:52 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:00 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Do publishers ever give a bookseller an option to sell a book as "remaindered" rather than returning it?

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:10 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:52 am

i stand [sit] corrected... was surmising when i should have been checking it out... apologies to all for misinforming...

:oops:

Next

Return to FAQs