Writing, illustrating and self-publishing a children's book

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
stoddard06
Private E-1

Writing, illustrating and self-publishing a children's book

Postby stoddard06 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:21 pm

I am very new to writing and publishing. I have been an illustrator all of my life and am a fairly decent writer. I've been batting around the idea to write and illustrate a children's book for some time. I would like to go through Kickstarter to raise the funds for this book. Aside from writing a draft, making sketches, putting the project on Kickstarter, and waiting for the support, I need some "guidance" from more seasoned pros who have walked the minefield of self-publishing as well as some important "first steps" I may be missing along the way. I know the hardest part is coming up with an age-appropriate story that children can relate to.

I would like to focus on current social topics (i.e., gay marriage, bullying, voting, equality, etc.). But my conundrum is how to approach the topic and write it for the right age group. Coming up with the story and its moral is proving to be the hard part. I will have no problem putting the story into illustrative form. I'm not sure on what age group I should focus (young children, older children, or even toddlers). I'm also not aware of how to go about self-publishing.

Any help by some seasoned children's book veterans would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Scott

pls
Site Admin

Re: Writing, illustrating and self-publishing a children's b

Postby pls » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Good luck, but be aware that it's against forum rules to promote here, so Kickstarter details are out.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Writing, illustrating and self-publishing a children's b

Postby mammamaia » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:10 am

welcome aboard, scott!

i've written children's books for a chicago publisher and i mentor many aspiring writers for children, plus having 7 kids and 19 grands i've bought books for, over the past half-century and i established a free books program that i ran for nearly 6 years, on the northern pacific island of tinian, where books for little ones were snapped up faster than i could restock the shelves... so if having a mentor would help you along the way to getting your books completed and 'out there' i'll be happy to see you through the process... email me if you'd like to discuss your needs and how i can help...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Return to FAQs