[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
teaching : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

teaching

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
rholbrook
Private E-1

teaching

Postby rholbrook » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:37 am

How is the best way to teach middle schoolers to add description to their writing? They will do well on assignment then their journal writes are plain.

pls
Site Admin

Re: teaching

Postby pls » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:49 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:32 am

"Be sure that you require them to read widely "

that's how!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

rholbrook
Private E-1

Postby rholbrook » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:26 am

Thanks. I have a student or two that likes to write. I just have to get them to focus on quality :)

rholbrook
Private E-1

Postby rholbrook » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:41 am

I was told a long time ago to have them read a story then write about it. I have them analyze the story in several ways, give them assignments that require creativity

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Talk to them about the five (or six, "Things happened here in the old days. Horrible things. I can feel it in my bones") senses, then have them write a story which includes the use of all the senses.
[imge=3509-3]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:49 pm

You have them read good writing, and then you help them rewrite their journal entries to get the same effect. This, at least, is how it was done when my kids were in school and keeping journals. It worked very well for my kids, tough I admit to helping them along. Any good parent should do this, and it's tough on teachers who have passive parents.

Anyway, middle school is the best time to learn that good writing is rewriting. They write it, and you show them how to write it better.

Return to FAQs