First Time Writer with a Few Questions

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
SchipMom
Private E-1

First Time Writer with a Few Questions

Postby SchipMom » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:43 am

I'm working on my first book and just have a few questions:

Can you mention the name of a popular song without it being copyright infringement? The song would only be mentioned once or twice maybe and wouldn't be playing a major factor in the book...I would only be mentioning it to describe a scene in the story.

My book is set in a fictional town in Vermont. There are a few other fictional towns that will be mentioned in the book also. Is it OK to mention a REAL town in the state also...or should I just stick with making any town mentioned completely fictional? The real town would only be mentioned a few times and wouldn't be a major factor in the book.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback :)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: First Time Writer with a Few Questions

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:56 am

You can use titles of songs, or anything else, all you like. Just don't quote lyrics.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:17 am

What James said. Also - how could you not mention real towns' names in a small state? You'd lose readers' interests pretty quickly if you renamed the state capital, for example, although it does make sense to come up with a fake name for your main setting.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:46 am

Can you mention the name of a popular song without it being copyright infringement? The song would only be mentioned once or twice maybe and wouldn't be playing a major factor in the book...I would only be mentioning it to describe a scene in the story.

...yes, you can... as long as you only mention the title and don't quote any of the lyrics...

My book is set in a fictional town in Vermont. There are a few other fictional towns that will be mentioned in the book also. Is it OK to mention a REAL town in the state also

...yes... it's done all the time...

or should I just stick with making any town mentioned completely fictional? The real town would only be mentioned a few times and wouldn't be a major factor in the book.

...see above... it's your choice to make...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:36 am

It's fine to use a fictional town as the setting for your novel, but even a fictional town needs to be set in a real state, with real towns and landscape around it. Setting is largely what sells a novel, or a short story, for that matter. If you hometown would make a good setting, use it. You know it better than anywhere else, and you can probably bring it to life much easier.

One trick many writers use is to use their hometown, or another town they know really well, but to fictionalize it by changing the location, and renaming it, and everything in it. Even with everything renamed, the writers know the town well enough to bring it to life.

Wombat_
Private E-1

Postby Wombat_ » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Might add there are dangers to using real towns. If you get a detail wrong people will see it immediately.

hate to bring in TV, but...look at the Andy Griffith Show. Raleigh, Mount Pilate, all the surrounding towns are real. Mayberry is not.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:26 pm

I use a fictional name for a town based on the various locations I've lived in in Kansas. Works for me.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Return to FAQs