[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do you find horror stories scary, or appalling or even terri : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do you find horror stories scary, or appalling or even terri

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Mcv1986
Private E-1

Do you find horror stories scary, or appalling or even terri

Postby Mcv1986 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 am

My question is concerning my ability to write in this genre. Horror and sci-fi will be my primary focus with the former, I believe, being the hardest. The reason is that I have a very rarely found any sort of horror story that actually made me feel anything but enjoyment. I like the darker aspects of the stories but I can count on one hand the number that have actually made me feel shocked, disturbed or any sort of emotion at all. Yet, most of the research I have done on the genre has stated that you should be compelling strong emotions within your reader. Assuming this is correct, how can I get the reader to feel strongly when reading my stories when I don’t feel the same when I read the stories of other writers. I believe I can write a good story that has the dark elements, but not one that will truly disturb people. I recently read a horror story that had all the necessary elements, a man eating monster inhabiting a misty gloomy valley, and I enjoyed it very much. The author is very talented in my opinion. Yet, it certainly didn’t scare me. Haunted houses scare me as well as caves, wild cougars a bit too close for comfort and other physical things. But, horror music, movies, games and literature don’t. So I really have to wonder if I can do this. If most other horror readers actually do read with the intent of being scared, I may be doomed in this genre before I truly begin!

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Do you find horror stories scary, or appalling or even t

Postby mammamaia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:05 am

how a horror story affects me depends on the writing quality as much as the story elements...

thus, i find some of them somewhat 'scary' and some 'appalling'... what you meant by the word start 'terri' i can't tell, but i do find some to be simply 'terribly boring'... what matters most to me is if a story captures my interest from the get-go and makes me have to read the whole thing to find out what happens...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:50 pm

You don't have to be scared, you just have to know what scares other people, horror readers in particular. A writer does not have to feel what his readers feel. Horror movies terrified me when I was a child, and here and there a short story or novel did the same. As an adult, I read them the same way I read any adventure type fiction. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy them tremendously.

The closet I've been to scared, which was creeped out, was near the end of the movie The Ring.

Write what you would most want to read if someone else wrote it, and all will be fine.

KnightWriter
Private First Class

Postby KnightWriter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Ever heard of the Silent Hill franchise? In one angle, you could say that it's kill the scary demon or be killed by it. While on the other side away from survival horror, it's done of the creepiest stuff you could ever think of. I bought a copy of part four "The Room" (Which technically isn't Silent Hill) but I wanted to give it a try. I stopped playing it because in one part, there was a 20-foot tall ghostly head of a girl I was supposed to rescue. Not only that, but it breathed like Michael Myers and it's eyes scrambled all around in their sockets while filtering wherever you stepped. Given, that may not scare you, but it did for me!

It was explained to me that horror can be approached from so many ways. It's not necessarily what scares you every single time the pen must meet the paper. Take for example the one I'm currently writing. I keep asking "Can this be interpreted as scary? How scary is it? On a from cookies to depraved, where does what I'm looking at lie?" You see where I'm going...Anyway, the whole premise of this one is a guy who wants to break out of imprisonment. That's not very scary I know, but it's the details that push the story along that I believe make it horror. Given, it defies physics if you wanted to rip it apart, but that's what horror flicks do. It's the way you say only what you know devoid of being cliche like everything else out there. And, speaking of the ending, technically there's no resolution or winning scenario for my main character...he just realizes he loses no matter what. I took inspiration from Rod Serling, R.L. Stine, and Stephen King. Hope this helps!

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:17 pm

There are different type of horror stories, so you have to be specific. For example, there's the slasher flicks, paranormal, and psychological. Many stories overlap between these examples. The Ring can be consider paranormal and psychological, but I wouldn't classify it as a slasher movie. Great movie by the way. Most people don't like the slasher flicks because of the gore. Some of the best horror stories have none or very little blood.

I haven't seen a really good horror movie since probably Silence of the Lambs. Insidious from 2010 was pretty close. I'd consider that paranormal. The remake of Halloween by Rob Zombie, if you like a lot of blood, was absolutely crazy gory. No movie has scared me since I was 10 and saw Jaws with a friend.

Some movies can stand the test of time, but some are only good in that era. For example, many of the best horror movie lists have Rosemary's Baby rank really high. It came out in 1968. I didn't see it until I was in my mid thirties. I thought it was horrible and boring. Not even close to scary. But in 1968, it was probably very scary. On the other hand, the original Pyscho came out in 1960 and people still talk about it.

As for actually written stories, I believe it pretty hard to scare someone with words. Or maybe just me. :D

Colin Johnson
Private First Class

Postby Colin Johnson » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:48 am

fablesofruin.blogspot.com

Return to FAQs