[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Beta editor : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Beta editor

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

Beta editor

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:34 pm

I hear people speak of a free beta reader for editing. What is it? Is that the same as my spelling and grammar setting? Computereeze is not my bowl of cherries, I just ate those. :P
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

updog
General of the Army

Re: Beta editor

Postby updog » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:54 pm

A beta reader is a person who reads your manuscript and gives you feedback.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:59 am

it's important to keep in mind that beta readers are not editors... most are not even seasoned or professional writers themselves, so while they are to be commended for being willing to give new writers feedback on what they've written, their opinions should not be taken as gospel and suggestions for changes may not be valid...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 pm

I find beta readers who don't write are very useful for pointing out parts that don't "make sense" to them.

Beta readers who write (not talking about professional editors) spend most of their energy focusing on grammar, style, and mechanics that they often overlook that.

So while it is just one opinion (although, finding multiple opinions should be sought, regardless), and it's not gospel, I've found very useful opinions from them.

Also, being told just what is wrong, rather than how to fix it, can sometimes lead to some fun ways to think outside of the box and create a creative solution.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:20 pm

The Rule of Three

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:27 pm

The Rule of Three

cosivantutte
Private First Class

Postby cosivantutte » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:52 pm

[/quote]

Oh, oh! I'm going to write a postcard to my parents and tell them I've finally been the cause of italics!

Now, if only my more impressive sibling hadn't already been underlined.

: P[/quote]

Was your sibling bolded too? If so, then you really have a reason to be jealous. :lol:

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:26 pm

The Rule of Three

Next

Return to FAQs