Agent Recommendations

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
mpcotter9751
Private E-1

Agent Recommendations

Postby mpcotter9751 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I have a question about finding the right agent.

I've written a novel where the main characters are young Jewish adults who become mystically transported through time -- forward and backward -- in order to fulfill a holy quest. Two of the characters fall in love. Locations shift from 19th and 20th century Europe to the Garden of Eden, then to America in the 1960s and finally Israel in 2014. There's a lot of history, a lot of Jewish mysticism/Kabbalah, and some historical real persons who interact with the protagonists.

I've tried to frame the story to appeal to the YA market in general, but especially to Jewish YA and older adults.

I have sent queries to several agencies in New York and one in Israel. Thus far, most have said that the book wasn't a good fit for them. And when I read about new agents and what they're looking for, I never seem to find the right match either.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would appreciate replies. Thank you!

Mark

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Agent Recommendations

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:10 pm

The only thing I can recommend is to reverse engineer the process. It's often easiest to find an agent who fits your book if you first find books as similar to your own as possible.

It can take some work, but if you spend some time at bookstores, at libraries, and online, you should be able to find three or four books close enough to your to count. Then you find out who represented these books, which isn't usually difficult at all.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 pm

I agree with James. You can also utilize querytracker.com. It's a great compliment to what James has suggested.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 am

ditto the ditto...

i have agent listings for the us, uk, australia and canada that i'll be happy to send you, to expand your search...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Return to FAQs