[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Contacting other writers via Facebook : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Contacting other writers via Facebook

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
KnightWriter
Private First Class

Contacting other writers via Facebook

Postby KnightWriter » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 pm

I've been following a local journalist's Facebook page every now and then for recaps of her stories on the news. Today, I've discovered she has a personal site ending in .tv where she blogs. And, also today, I've discovered that even though it's through the news station I can like her page and even message her.

I read a very good blog she wrote about the relationship she has with her father, which reminded me of the same thing me and my grandpa shared. You guys are up to date on social media. Could I message her a "fan letter" saying I like her work?

If I were to mention I'm a writer too, would that be unnecessary bragging or a good way to network?

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Re: Contacting other writers via Facebook

Postby Elibet1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:51 pm

I woiuldn't think there'd be a problem with that. Just my humble opinion :D

All the best,
Elizabeth

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 am

No problem at all.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:54 am

I had a mother contact me through the Facebook "other" message connection. She was writing on behalf of her middle-school son, who'd read my freebie book about football, wrote a book report over it, and wanted some extra credit for getting me to write back to him. So I did and was delighted to do so.

I've communicated with a number of struggling-to-published writers on Facebook, and except for the ones who continually spam my newsfeed with their books, the networking has been very positive. I was invited to participate in an Internet radio show via one contact, and I've been able to offer advice about self-publishing to others, for example. The more contacts, the merrier!
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 am

I always look forward to the day I'll be published and thus have the merit to help other writers learn the art.

I'm sure she'll feel honored to hear any kind words.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

KnightWriter
Private First Class

Postby KnightWriter » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Thank you all for your encouragement! Ironically, that was the theme today for Throwback Thursday. I saw one of the Rocky movies and the first three Karate Kid movies as well.

I took your advice and sent her a message thanking her for her post, telling her I admire her charisma and sarcasm, and that her style gave me more focus.

Approximately thirty minutes later, (and I STILL can't believe this happened!) she replied!!! She was absolutely floored and grateful for my message saying that I had no idea how much it meant to her and that she wasn't sure if anyone read her blogs. She even joked that I may be the only one reading them. Not only that, but she wished me luck in my writing and asked to "take a peek sometime."

Okay, this is my first time attempting to network. Obviously I will need her e-mail address or some way other than Facebook to send her copies of my stuff, but I have no idea how to go about that. What do you guys think?

Oh, and BTW....in case I haven't said it....SHE MESSAGED ME BACK!!!!! :D :!:

KnightWriter
Private First Class

Postby KnightWriter » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:39 pm

And, should I ask what she likes so I don't send her stuff that doesn't suit her taste or just send her completed works at a time?

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:41 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Return to FAQs