[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Let the Agent make the decision? : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Let the Agent make the decision?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
DrG2
Colonel

Let the Agent make the decision?

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:39 pm

I have a short chapter (1500 words) that has one purpose -- establish that a character has a particular ability. I think it works OK and there is some character development and laughs, but it's really there for the one purpose.

I've thought of cutting it, but then I thought maybe I'd just let the agent (assuming I get one) tell me to cut it. It's about 250 pages into a 350 page novel, so if she get's that far it won't be a deal-breaker.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Re: Let the Agent make the decision?

Postby Crono91 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:51 pm

I usually refer to those as bridge chapters--not to be confused with a story arc bridge.

I spot them a lot (more so in action oriented novels than anything else). Just make sure it doesn't disrupt the flow of the story--try reading the two chapters before it and the two chapters after it in one sitting to see how it would come across.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:48 am

Tough question. The trouble with letting an agent make such a decision is that the agent may decide to reject the novel, rather than telling yu to cut this or that chapter. Another problem is that even some of the best agents out there have no blinking clue about writing. They know what makes a book marketable, which is a rare talent, and a necessary one, but they'll tell you all kinds of nonsense about the writing itself. Editors are the ones who have a better idea about the writing itself.

But agent or editor, it's ultimately the writer's decision.

Either way, I find three pieces of advice/questions that usually work well, if you take each with a tablespoon of salt. 1. When in doubt, leave it out. I do not always follow this advice, but it's still good advice. If you aren't sure, and if removing it doesn't harm the story, then why is it there? 2. If you can make something shorter without losing purpose, do so. This advice I do try to follow. 3. Does what you put in interfere with pace, flow, and continuity? If so, remove it. If not, then it's almost always safe to leave it in.

So can you show this character's ability in fewer words? Can you blend it in with another chapter? Or, if it fits well, doesn't interfere with pace, flow, and continuity, should you just leave it in. Honestly, if this is the case, I almost always leave it in, and let the editor worry about it.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:06 pm

Abdicating an editing decision on the assumption you're going to land an agent who will make that decision for you seems counterproductive to me. Your job is to bake the MS as good as you possibly can before sending it out, and it sounds like you're trying to avoid doing that, which may well cost you the agent you think will make this decision for you.

Just send the best MS you are capable of.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 pm

I doubt in this particular case, it would be a deal breaker. It's so far into the story, and is easily resolved if it's a problem.

I'm trying to think of an analogous situation, but none is perfect, so I'll give my circumstance.

It is essential that the reader believe that the character is a good actor in the climactic action scene. I had mentioned that he acted in passing a couple of times, but I didn't think that would be sufficient. So I wrote this small scene where his friends are watching him in a Shakespeare play. There is slightly more to the scene than that (character revealing, humor), but not much.

Return to FAQs