[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Survival horror flash fiction : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Survival horror flash fiction

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
KnightWriter
Private First Class

Survival horror flash fiction

Postby KnightWriter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Hey guys! I realized that, even though it's not a huge market, short short horror stories are usually about the usual stuff. Zombies. Vampires. Blah....not that there's anything wrong with those types mind you, but I wanted to get an opinion about it being like a survival horror story. Not as extreme as Silent Hill (Parts 1-3 with main emphasis on the first two), but I was thinking about experiencing the mental horrors of things like imprisonment...not necessarily torture as seen like with Saw. And even flip the table even more and reverse the genders on the roles with a male victim and a female antagonist. Is this a little too out of the box, or can such a thing make sense in the market?

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Survival horror flash fiction

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:04 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:37 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Sure. I like to write quirky psychological horror. Give it a go!
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:27 pm

KnightWriter
Private First Class

Postby KnightWriter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:00 pm

While vampires are out, zombies are still in. I've never read a zombie book (although, I'd love for anyone to point me to a GOOD one), though.

I can't see why a short story horror would be bad, nor a female antagonist. But I don't write in the horror market.

I think horror survives because it's usually "out of the box." When I think of good horror movies (don't read horror, except a few King's, of course), they were all unique with some twists. Not typical slashers.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:39 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:45 am

Things that could happen … like the crate under the stairs which had been shipped from South America in a Stephen King short story. I had avoided reading Stephen King early on, believing him to be another flash-in-the-pan, but I was completely and totally hooked by this story, in which a terrible, long-lived creature was crated and shipped to a university and then stowed under the stairs. Eventually some guy introduced it to his wife, whom he didn't like any more.

And then I plunged into "Christine". I love MoPars, but I can't look at late '50's Plymouths now without shuddering.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Next

Return to FAQs