[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Prelude to a main story - Possible? : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Prelude to a main story - Possible?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Crono91
Lieutenant

Re: Prelude to a main story - Possible?

Postby Crono91 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:14 pm

I love prologues. Yup, I said it. And most thrillers I've read with them, the prologues are mini stories. Showing not telling. I don't understand why someone would write a telling prologue and show the rest of the novel. They should set up a story and have just as much action as the rest of the novel. I know I'm not wide-read, so I guess the bad prologues must be in another genre than what I normally read. :D

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:20 pm

I didn't think of it in crime stories. How commonly is that done - - show the crime in the prologue, then follow the detective starting in ch. 1?

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:50 am

Prologues are minefields. I researched for a blog post I'll link to below, but for querying writers, if there is a way around using a prologue, I strongly suggest not using one. If you're not querying, some of the most brutal issues fall away, and it's more of a judgement call.

But, having said all of that, my writing partner opens with a prologue, and it's even an in media res prologue, which is about my least favorite kind, and there is simply no other way to open her novel. Which is the one circumstance I think you should use one with a book you plan to query.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:52 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs