[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Which phrase is correct? : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Which phrase is correct?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
bjamison71
Private E-2

Which phrase is correct?

Postby bjamison71 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm writing a scene for which I plan to use one of the following phrases, but I'm not sure which form of the word is correct.

Lay (There/their/they're, no problem. But Lay... ugh!)

1. "...was no match for the type of cunning manipulation he had laid witness to that day." OR
2. "...was no match for the type of cunning manipulation he had lain witness to that day."

bore
1. "...was no match for the type of cunning manipulation he had bore witness to that day." OR
2. "...was no match for the type of cunning manipulation he had borne witness to that day."

Thanks in advance for your help! :-)

pls
Site Admin

Re: Which phrase is correct?

Postby pls » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Couldn't you just say "... he witnessed that day..." ?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:51 pm

bjamison71
Private E-2

Postby bjamison71 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:43 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:06 am

i agree that the rather archaic/fancified expression is not as wise a choice as simply 'witnessed'...

kudos to you, bj, for being open to all advice, however given... bodes well for your future in re writing or any other pursuit...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:51 am

Because lain is the right word in that sentence would give me enough reason to consider the change. I really dislike the word lain. It just doesn't sound right. I don't think I've read a novel with lain in it. I have seen whom, but I dislike that word too. I think I need to start a thread. :D

bjamison71
Private E-2

Postby bjamison71 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Return to FAQs