[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Find freelance editor : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Find freelance editor

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
chuck wise
Private E-1

Find freelance editor

Postby chuck wise » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 pm

I have written a mystery novel. Eventually I want to get an agent and send it off to an publisher. However, first I want to have a freelance editor ( to do substantive/developmental editing) review my manuscript and make suggestions that I can use to make my manuscript better. Is there a website where I can find freelance "mystery novel" editors?

Thanks

Chuck

bjamison71
Private E-2

Re: Find freelance editor

Postby bjamison71 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:20 pm

There probably is such a site, but it will likely put you in contact with some major scam artists. Be careful!!

I believe there is somebody on the boards here who offers mentoring and peer review to prospective writers, but I'm not one hundred percent sure I'm thinking of the right person. No worries, though--she'll reach out to you if she thinks she can help!

Also, why not just edit it yourself, send it out, and see what happens? Some of the best feedback I've received has been in the form of a 'rejection' letter from an agent. Occasionally, they will take the time to give you a detailed account of what worked and what didn't work in your manuscript, and may even offer to take a second look! Triple-check your manuscript for errors in spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and then send out a few queries-- the worst they can say is 'no', right?

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:34 pm

you can put jobs on elance site, and have editors come to you. ask for references, and check them out.

or ask for writers to suggest editors they've used before. Perhaps someone will make a suggestion in response to this thread.

chuck wise
Private E-1

Postby chuck wise » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks for your replies to my question about locating editors. I believe you are right in that a lot of editors are not ethical. I am new to writers digest website and look forward to reading the the posts.

Also thanks for telling me about the - elance website as a way to locate freelance editors.

Thanks again

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:17 am

it's not that editors are not ethical, it's that some of them have no qualifications or ability, yet want to get paid as a professional.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:02 am

bj... thinking of me, maybe?

chuck...
yes, i do mentor aspiring writers full time and i do occasionally take on an editing job for a client... however:

as for hiring an editor, since this comes up so often on the writing sites i post on daily, i've had to prepare a stock post, to save typing time... hope you won't mind:

in re hiring an editor [i provide editing services, though i caution against it], you need to accept the fact that the money you spend on having someone else do what writers must be able to do on their own will most likely never be recouped from the sale of your work... so, if you do go ahead with it, be sure you don't need to make it back, because not even the best editor in the world can ever guarantee the work will be accepted by a paying publisher, or will sell well enough to come close to equalling what you paid, if it is... same goes for if you self-publish...

also, no editor who can do a good enough job for you will be cheap... it will cost many hundreds, to several thousands of dollars [US] for a good, professional editor to bring your book up to publishable/readable standards, depending on how much work it needs, as there are several levels of 'editing'... from simply correcting typos, punctuation and minor grammar glitches, all the way up to a complete rewrite, if the writing quality is poor...

those who offer to do it cheaply, will not be able to do much [if any] better than you could do on your own... anyone can set up shop and call themselves 'editors' these days, but few will actually be worthy of the title, so vet any you consider using very carefully and be sure to get a sample edit before entering into any agreement for services...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:27 pm

To do this right, you need a real editor, one with much experience in buying books for a major publish, content editing books for a major publisher, or, at the very least, a person whop has the editorial skills, and has sold books to a major publisher. Such people are very hard to find, and they will charge you a lot of money, and with no guarantee that the book will sell.

And as an editor who works for a publisher, why would I want to buy a novel from a writer who can't do this kind of work himself? I'd rather buy a book from the person who edited your book. The thing is, even if I buy your book, it's probably going to require some revision and rewriting. Are yu going to hire yet another editor when this has to be done?

And what makes you think I want a book written the way another editor thinks it should be written? I'm looking for good writers, not freelance editors. I'm already an editor, and several others work all around me.

Get beta help, if you think it will help, but write your own book, revise your own book, and edit your own book. If it's anywhere close to professional quality, we'll give yu all the help you need to perfect it. If it isn't anywhere near professional quality, no hired "editor" is likely to help you get it there.

And what you're really looking for is a book doctor, not an editor. Book doctors are the ones who help with such things as substantive/developmental editing. Good ones are even rarer than good freelance editors, and they charge a lot more. Writers write, but writers also need to be able to revise, rewrite, and edit their own work. It really isn't all that difficult, if you do have the talent to be a writer.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:24 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 am

getting professional-quality feedback on your writing is hard to come by. It's probably not worth the cost on the basis of the manuscript you send them, but I've often wondered whether they can provide some lasting guidance that will improve everything you write from that point on.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:13 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Next

Return to FAQs