[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How does the slush process work at Magazines? : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How does the slush process work at Magazines?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
DrG2
Colonel

How does the slush process work at Magazines?

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm sure it varies from magazine to magazine.

I submitted a story to a major genre magazine, and the return letter to me was addressed to me with my name spelled out, although I only used initials in the manuscript and cover letter (I checked my only previous submission to them, and I did have my first name spelled out in the contact information, though not the byline). I wonder if they regularly check their "file" on you before they process a submission.

updog
General of the Army

Re: How does the slush process work at Magazines?

Postby updog » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Are you sure your name isn't attached to your email address? Meaning, it shows at the top of the email along with your email address?
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:23 pm

this one was a paper submission.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 am

then you either did inadvertantly include your full name somewhere in the submission and you've forgotten you did so, or the acquisitions editor did check their files for previous submissions by you [which is not SOP at most venues]...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:48 pm

The process is different at every magazine, largely depending on who reads the story first. I've never known a reader or editor who would look up a writer's full name under the circumstances you outlined. Whatever is on the cover letter or first page contact information should be used in the rejection.

The only possibility I can think of that even makes sense is that the magazine creates an e-file of every writer who submits, and automatically goes to this for rejections, and probably for acceptances, as well.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:01 pm

the other curious thing is that they did not use the SASE I enclosed (with a printed address label), but wrote my address on an envelope and put on a half dozen stamps of various denominations (I had used a "forever" stamp).

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:59 am

sounds really weird for a 'major' mag... which one is it?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:28 pm

I agree on the weirdness. I'd like to know which magazine this is, too.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Sounds like they lost your SASE and wrote the address using your contact details.
The Rule of Three

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 pm

probably the most important speculative fiction magazine over the last 50 years.

Next

Return to FAQs