[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Newbie: Where Do I Start? : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Newbie: Where Do I Start?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
clarkbody86
Private E-1

Newbie: Where Do I Start?

Postby clarkbody86 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi, Guys & Gals! Well, here I am. I have decided to take my writing seriously. I have been writing as far back as I can remember. I write poetry, skits, plays, inspirational/motivational & spiritually oriented material. I also have several book ideas I'm working on. The reason why I joined this forum is to learn what I need to know to write better & to get published. Also, if I need to get my writings copy written before putting it online. So, I guess my general question is where do I start? Thanks in advance.

DrG2
Colonel

Re: Newbie: Where Do I Start?

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:03 pm

you start by reading books of the sort you want to write.

everything you write immediately is copyrighted. You might want to register a screenplay, but I wouldn't worry about anything else.

clarkbody86
Private E-1

Postby clarkbody86 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks DrG2. Ok, I read a lot by many of my favorite authors in the craft. So, U say everything I write is already copywritten? Could U elaborate a little more for a novice.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:08 am

everything is already protected the moment you write it. you don't have to go through any process to formally copyright it. If agents/publishers get your manuscript with: "copyright 2014 by . . ." they will consider you a rube. As I said, screenplays might be different.

coming up with ideas and writing something is trivial compared to getting it published by a traditional publisher, if you are a new author. No one wants to steal your work. Unless you are Stephen King or someone like that.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:00 am

clarkbody86
Private E-1

Postby clarkbody86 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:19 am

The reason I am concerned with copywriting & owning my work is because I would like to have my work for sell online, preferably on my on website, amazon, etc. I have written a lot of poetry, skits for youth events & material for Christian leadership workshops. I have also developed a (self-help) career orientation online for young adults. Thanks for the feedback!!

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:11 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:34 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

clarkbody86
Private E-1

Postby clarkbody86 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:13 pm

OK. Thanks for the link, Shadowwalker.

Return to FAQs