[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Is there such a thing as TOO many pieces in a story : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is there such a thing as TOO many pieces in a story

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
LLeeB13
Private E-1

Is there such a thing as TOO many pieces in a story

Postby LLeeB13 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:12 pm

Hello, this is my first post here in the Forum and have found myself struggling a little bit and would like some input.

I have an idea for the overall arch of my novel, which I know will span multiple books. However, as I work it out, it am overwhelmed by so many components and thoughts. Is there a point in one's writing where you decide to let one (or more!) of the "components" go so that you can focus more on the overall story?

I hope that question was clear...and thank you all in advance for your input!!

Best,
Llee

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Is there such a thing as TOO many pieces in a story

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:24 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I completely agree with what Terry said. Worry about writing one book, and making it as good as possible. Period. Don't worry about keeping powder dry for a second or third book or anything like that. You'll have plenty of ideas when the time comes.

Not that I'm saying throw the kitchen sink into your book -- we always need to pare and trim. But you should be doing that based entirely on keeping the 100K words that do the best job of telling that story. Nothing more or less than that.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:17 pm

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Fri May 23, 2014 12:22 pm

I think you can have too many pieces. I was writing a novel about time travel, nuclear war, a person suffering from Cotard's Delusion and a man who is a Chimera. I finally realized - I don't really want to get into technical aspects of explaining time travel, and I really feel like my novel comes alive only when I write about the man who has Cotard's and the man who is a Chimera. So I've restarted it, again, and I'm writing about mainly these two characters. I've changed the time travel theme to concentrate on what one character sees as a possible solution, not the main theme of the book. The Chimera THINKS time travel might be possible, so he goes to ask a scientist about it. Problem solved.

I've pared it down to the essentials. What is the part of the novel that truly interests you? You might have to experiment for a while to see what part really speaks to you, before you know what to focus on. Don't be afraid to wander a little bit through the character's stories and see which one you want most to tell.

Return to FAQs