[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Submitting A Previously Published Poem : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Submitting A Previously Published Poem

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Brian28
Private E-1

Submitting A Previously Published Poem

Postby Brian28 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi,

There was a poem that I wrote a few years back and it received a merit award in a poem competition and I wanted to resubmit the poem again. I e-mailed them and they said that since I own full copyright to the poem I can do with it as I please and I can edit, alter it and rewrite it but I wanted to know if it's possible for me to change the title of the poem. I'm not fully satisfied with it and I wanted to know if a writer can re-submit a previously published poem, resubmitting it with a title change?

Thank you ;)

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Submitting A Previously Published Poem

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:12 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:12 pm

He can do anything he wants with it, but if it was published, he needs to tell the editors in the cover letter.

Brian28
Private E-1

Postby Brian28 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:09 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:45 pm

Brian28
Private E-1

Postby Brian28 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:50 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Are you asking if you can slap a new title on your old poem and sell it as new?

I don't know anything about selling short work, but that seems pretty shady.

Brian28
Private E-1

Postby Brian28 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:59 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:41 pm

From how I understand it, the poem has never been published, only entered in a competition. Entering a competition is not being published. No-one has seen it except the competition judges. If it has not been published anywhere it is considered new material and you can make any changes you like (including title). However, I would not make any changes at all. I would submit the poem as is, being sure to mention in the cover letter that the poem won a merit award in a competition.

If you submit material that has been previously published, you are duty bound to sell it as a reprint. Some magazines do buy reprints, but you would not be paid as much for it, and you would have to declare it as previously published, when and by whom.
[imge=3509-3]

Next

Return to FAQs