[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing "others" that are undesirable characters. : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing "others" that are undesirable characters.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Writing "others" that are undesirable characters.

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:40 pm

I jumped into the deep end of the pool with my 3rd novel. My protag and antag are both females. I wrote from a stand point of what if two females grew up with the exact same horrible childhood and were pitted against each other. One is the cop and one is the killer. I have several flashback chapters that could be either one of the two females. You don't know who the flashback chapters are about until the second to the last chapter. On top of that, I have attempted to have the reader feel for both. I have no idea if I pulled it off. We shall see. :D

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:46 pm

The only example I can think of for female friendships is The Color Purple, and it's got a lot more going on than just female solidarity, of course.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Are there that many man-on-man novels where the friendship between two men is important to the novel?

I can think of a few, but it seems that a lot of books have a male and female friendship/relationship. It's almost like if your going to spend all this time fleshing out the relationship of two characters they might as well have some sexual tension.
The Rule of Three

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:35 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:50 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:07 pm

I guess I don't read buddy novels. All that came to mind was Lord of the Rings and the final Foundation book by Asimov. It always comes off a little homoerotic to me, perhaps I'm always wanting someone to get it on.

It's strange that male writers don't know what women talk about, most of them must live with one.

What do men talk to their wives about? Other men? Don't think so.

What do women talk about amongst themselves? Normal human stuff. Stresses. Wishes. Farts.
The Rule of Three

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:15 pm

There are 100 novels about dysfunctional families for every novel about a happy, well functioning family. Most M/M friendships stop when they get dysfunctional. For some reason, F/F friendships can last a lifetime, even where neither person gets any kind of genuine friendly pleasure from the damned thing.

As a guy, it never ceases to amaze me. But I grew up with 3 sisters, my best friend from childhood is a woman, I am raising 4 daughters, 10 to 18 years old, and I was married for most of my adult life. That, to me, is one of the most prominent and striking differences between the sexes.

"Bill was a dick to Frank, so Frank stopped hanging out with Bill" isn't much of a story arc. I could drop 50,000 words on my eighteen-year-old's prom freinemy group date dynamics alone.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 pm

Previous

Return to FAQs