[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing "others" that are undesirable characters. : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing "others" that are undesirable characters.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
DrG2
Colonel

Writing "others" that are undesirable characters.

Postby DrG2 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 pm

a writer, particularly if he is an older white male writer, can get in all sorts of trouble if he creates characters of other gender/race/sexual orientations that are portrayed badly. But writers of same "type" get carte blanche.

I'm 34 pages into Sara Pekkanen's "The Opposite of Me" and the MC, written in first person, is so self-absorbed, superficial, and neurotic as to make Bridget Jones seem like the Dalai Lama (and her rival is repeatedly painted as a slut). I've wanted to throw the book against the wall, repeatedly. Granted, I think the MC will get a dose of perspective sometime in the next 300 pages, but the characterization is so demeaning that I would never write something similar about a female character (though, I will write the odd female character that is darnright evil).

And I read the back of the book and see comments that Pekkanen is some new champion of chick lit comedy, written by female blurb-writers.

I don't get it.

MookyMcD
Captain

Re: Writing "others" that are undesirable characters.

Postby MookyMcD » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:20 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:42 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm

We have different complaints. Now, granted, I've only read chapter one of "The Opposite of Me" but I didn't find the character self-absorbed, superficial, or neurotic. If anything, she seemed pretty humble to me. My complaint was that chapter one bored me to death. Not one thing I cared about happened. Nothing. And those first five or six pages, where story should really be open and in fourth gear, should have been thrown away. This story started way too early. That's a book I'll never finish.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:31 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:06 am

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:07 pm

LadyAnne
Private E-1

Postby LadyAnne » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:58 am

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:30 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:27 pm

The Rule of Three

Next

Return to FAQs