[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
PDF FILES : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

PDF FILES

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

PDF FILES

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 am

This is for all you smart gurus of the computer. I have Open Office and have the instructions to make a PDF file. My question is two-fold:

1. If I turn a document file into a PDF file will I be able to find the original in my document file? I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to keep my original document in my document file when I bring up OPEN in OPEN OFFICE: or will I have to use that document from then on as a PDF file.

2. How do i find a PDF when I receive them so I can look at it and how would I send a PDF.

I hope someone understands my questions, as I'm not quite sure if what I'm saying is proper nomenclature. :mrgreen: Thank you, oh smart and mighty gurus.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

pls
Site Admin

Re: PDF FILES

Postby pls » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:59 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:05 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:25 pm

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:57 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:06 pm

tom9
Private E-2

Postby tom9 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:49 am

LilliesCarol, in such a situation it can be helpful, safe, and reassuring to create a test document and give it a trial run. This will confirm your own understanding and remove anxiety over messing up your document.

For example:

1--Open your ODT doc.
2--Select all, then copy.
3--Create new blank ODT doc.
4--Paste in what you've copied.
5--Close your original ODT doc.
Since your original doc is now closed, nothing "bad" can happen to it.

6--Give your new test ODT a clear filename to avoid confusion:
TEST-only-ODT-to-PDF

You might also write at the top of the doc itself:
TEST ONLY for ODT to PDF conversion.
Again, this is to avoid any confusion between this test doc and the original "gold" doc.

7--Save as ODT
8--Then, save as PDF
9--Close the file, then email the PDF to yourself. See if it opens correctly, then read the doc to confirm the conversion went OK.
Last edited by tom9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:50 am

It's been some time so I'll have to retest, but doesn't Microsoft Word asked you to save first before exporting into a pdf?

Next

Return to FAQs