[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
New to the craft : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

New to the craft

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
MookyMcD
Captain

Re: New to the craft

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:26 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:34 pm

chacun à so goût!

'the guardian' said it all for me, re the literary quality of rowling's writing:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb ... gconisthep
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:43 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:59 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:10 pm

chacun à so goût a deux

I know people who loathe Hemingway. I can even understand their complaints. I don't agree, he's my favorite author, but I can understand them. If you don't like her writing, that's fine. I can't abide Coramc McCarthy. To be honest, I don't really care for Stephen King, either, though I dislike their writing for entirely different reasons.

I will say that Guardian article wasn't much of a literary deconstruction. When you put aside the complaint about the retail price (which comprised about a third of the article) and ignore broad general statements that she just "doesn't write well," the only direct criticism was that she used adverbs in dialogue tags -- a lot, on one page. Now that's a fair criticism (I detest adverbs in dialogue tags, personally), but it's a style criticism at most, and if that was the only thing the critic could specifically point to in 4,000 pages of Potter, it's not a very damning one.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:20 pm

It's wonderful how a "Hi, I'm new, I like to write too" can turn so quickly.

Hi Perezoyola! Welcome. Read. Write. Enjoy. All for your own reasons.
The Rule of Three

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:10 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:06 am

McCarthy seems to find a literary use for redundancy, which I don't enjoy. He uses sparse words, but his prose is still not very tight. If Hemingway had written The Road, for example, it would probably have been 1500 words long. And it would have said everything McCarthy said.

I don't relate to his characterizations at all, while Hemingway had complete, rounded humans. The "horrors" of Blood Meridian struck me as the literary equivalent of a slasher flick, there for the gratuitous reason of trying to shock me. I was thinking "this guy wrote gross stuff," instead of being subtly disturbed by the imagery. In fact there was no imagery -- because it was so "guy writing gross stuff" for me, I felt like I was reading an a shopping list of gross stuff a writer wrote down.

Then there's the whole punctuation & structure thing, which I'm just willing to chalk up to me not being sophisticated enough to understand and appreciate. That doesn't make me enjoy it, but I assume that's some kind of failing on my part, since everyone else finds it brilliant. More than anything, though, it makes me sit there looking at words someone wrote, not being enveloped by a story and forgetting about the guy who wrote it.

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:30 pm

Welcome,

If you are looking for a book based on real events I have one that I always forget is non-fiction, Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand.

Also, Outpost by Jake Tapper
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

It doesn't get any better than Gabriel Garcia Marquez, though. Read all his books and then read them in English. I've found the translations to be excellent! I think he may have done the translations himself. He is one of my writing idols.

One of my very favorite books is John Steinbeck's Cannery Row. It's like a poem of it's time. I feel sorry for the kids when they teach Grapes of Wrath or the The Red Pony in schools because this is his best in my opinion.

Darling Jim by Christian Moerk contains some good writing and is structured in an interesting way.

Amy Tan is another writer who I read whatever she writes. She did an article for NatGeo that was amazing! I recently got her new book, Valley of Amazement and can't wait to get to it.

I must put in a good word for Khaled Hosseini author of The Kite Runner. I've read most of his stuff. Although a work of fiction, it is based on some true events. Great writer, heck of a nice guy.

Oh, I'm forgetting Dave Eggers! A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and What is the What. Both based on real events. Also his work in McSweeney's.

Read Stephen King, there is something for everyone is his repertoire and he is the best modern balance of good storytelling and good writing. Read his, On Writing. It not only will inspire to write, but in itself it's a well-written book and an example of what it preaches. (It doesn't actually preach. Just solid, practical advice on how to be a novelist.)

Alice Munro is an excellent short story writer, but the writing is excellent.

I really like is Pete Dexter. By him try, Train, Paris Trout and Deadwood.

Oh, of course read Charles Dickens!

On J.K. Rowling, she is an excellent writer. You may not like what she writes, but you can't deny her talent. I marvel at it every time I listen to the Harry Potter series on audio. However, I feel it was Casual Vacancy that solidified her prowess as a writer. I know the critics didn't like it because it wasn't Harry Potter, but it's some great writing and a powerful story that stays with you.
Last edited by cynfranks on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:59 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs