[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
New to the craft : FAQs • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

New to the craft

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: New to the craft

Postby DrG2 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Mookie, thanks for elaborating. I've read McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men" and "All the Pretty Horses" which I loved. Mostly spare writing, but there are blossoms of poetic imagery from time to time. He writes about men doing gritty, manly things, and I'd have thought Hemingway might appreciate that. That's why I asked.

carolyn596
Private First Class

Postby carolyn596 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:19 am

Welcome aboard. You'll find friendly and knowledgeable people here. If you really want to write, best advice is to put butt in seat and to just write. You learn by doing and being evaluated.
formerly j t hall
creator of Alborn and all of its denizens

carolyn596
Private First Class

Postby carolyn596 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:21 am

formerly j t hall

carolyn596
Private First Class

Postby carolyn596 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:31 am

formerly j t hall

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 am

Now that the original poster has dissolved into nothingness.

The thing that makes Rowling special to me is her plotting. That's what I marvel at the most. Her prose, dialog and characters are great and all. It's the fact that you are always on the edge of your seat, always wanting to turn the next page. As soon as a goal has been reached, instead of just sitting there and slapping themselves on the back, the characters realize that they now have something new to rush towards.

There really isn't a break in tension. Almost every page is a page turner. I'd love to know how she did that.

So far I prefer Hemingway to McCarthy, but I like both of them.
The Rule of Three

Previous

Return to FAQs